Choro da Saudade -Barrios

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
lagartija

Choro da Saudade -Barrios

Post by lagartija » Thu May 11, 2017 9:29 pm

Is anyone interested in delving into the B section of Choro da Saudade to help me understand what to call the chords in this section? I'm trying to identify them so I can at least learn something more than "my fingers go in these places on these frets in this shape" as I commit this piece to memory.
They are not chords that I know. I hear 7 chords, diminished, suspended maybe.... but trying to figure this out is making my head hurt! Not just naming them, but trying to understand what they are doing in the piece.

Any help is appreciated. I am using the Stover edition and I am using the ossia he gives for measure 26.
Note: The unreachable chord in measure 28 (crossbarre), my teacher revoiced and I'm playing it at VI with the Eb on string 5, but that wouldn't really change its ID....would it?
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Rasputin

Re: Choro da Saudade -Barrios

Post by Rasputin » Fri May 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Were there any particular measures you had in mind?

I had a look at the score - it looks to me as though mm. 30 to 40 are just a series of dominant 7ths going round the circle of fifths, with a neapolitan sixth in m. 34. In some cases where the bassline is descending a whole step from one measure to the next, Barrios takes it down a half step in the middle of the bar to produce a chromatic line. Personally I would look at this as an alteration of the first chord rather than a true change of harmony - I don't think the harmony really changes until the next measure.

The earlier measures often feature a non-chordal tone that is a semitone off the chord tone it replaces. There is some use of the same device in the bassline - again I don't think this really gives you two different harmonies. Bearing those things in mind might make it easier to identify the underlying chords.

bert

Post by bert » Fri May 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Just before seeing your post I was watching this, all about 7th chords:

Youtube

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat May 13, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I'll take a look at that lesson link when I get to a place with a better internet connection tomorrow.
__/^^^^^o>

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon May 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Wow! Great lesson on 7ths! I'm afraid I will have to watch it a number of times more before all that sinks in. :oops:
He really rips through that. I think I'll watch some of his other videos too.
__/^^^^^o>

bert

Post by bert » Tue May 16, 2017 4:25 am

lagartija wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 5:56 pm
Wow! Great lesson on 7ths! I'm afraid I will have to watch it a number of times more before all that sinks in. :oops:
I have the same thing. I am watching them all. It explains so much. It even made me understand why I find Mozart so longwinded so often.

Flawiler63

Post by Flawiler63 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Sorry can't help with any analyses of the chords. I am trying to get to grips with music theory and just wanted to say thanks for the link to the youtube lesson provided in this thread. I will stretch my fingers with the Choro da Saudade and my mind with these youtube lessons.
Christian

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”