Book with detailed explanation of phrasing and analysis and explanation of how to play etudes

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
Rahul

Book with detailed explanation of phrasing and analysis and explanation of how to play etudes

Post by Rahul » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi

Maybe I am aksing for a lot but I don't have a teacher and it's hard to find teachers for CG in India. I am looking for books which explain etudes in detail (analysis, phrasing, tone balancing) to develop good techniques and also provides videos for the same or a cd to listen to the same.

Are there such detailed books.

Thanks

Rahul

Rasputin

Re: Book with detailed explanation of phrasing and analysis and explanation of how to play etudes

Post by Rasputin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:45 pm

I don't think so, but you can listen to things on YT and pay attention to the phrasing, and you will occasionally come across discussions of how things should be phrased (there is a thread about Lagrima in the analysis section, for example).

There is a book called Phrase Rhythm in Tonal Music which is about how phrases are structured, but it is pretty abstract and probably not what you are after.

The question of how to play etudes is even broader - I think you have to approach them one by one.

Don't forget there are lessons on offer here, then there are Skype lessons, then there are programmes like Simon Powis's Classical Guitar Corner (I think Tavi Jinariu runs a similar one).

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Book with detailed explanation of phrasing and analysis and explanation of how to play etudes

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:50 pm

The nearest I can think of would be the books by David Tanenbaum - essential studies, or words to that effect.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Briant

Post by Briant » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:58 am

Hubert Kappell has 2 books of studies one for basic studies and the other giving intermediate studies. These are standard repertoire from Sor, Giuliani,Aguado etc. Puts the studies into categories ie arpeggios scales position changes etc. And shows how to practice them.

The problem is that they are only available in the German Language.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:50 pm
The nearest I can think of would be the books by David Tanenbaum - essential studies, or words to that effect.
Stephen, you have provided a very good lead. Thanks for the reminder! David Tanenbaum has produced excellent written and audio materials covering Carcassi, Sor & Brouwer. I purchased sets ages ago, and they are moving up on my my CG bucket list. I expect they'll keep me busy for quite awhile.

Rahul

Post by Rahul » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Do the books come with cd or do we have to buy the cd separately.

Thanks

Rahul

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Rahul wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:28 pm
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Do the books come with cd or do we have to buy the cd separately.
Sorry Rahul I've no idea, if you look up suppliers of the books the listing would say whether CDs were included. Performances of all the pieces will be readily available elsewhere.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 pm
Rahul wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:28 pm
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sorry Rahul I've no idea, if you look up suppliers of the books the listing would say whether CDs were included. Performances of all the pieces will be readily available elsewhere.
PS, there's a really fine analytic edition of the Carcassi Studies op 60, published by Editions Orphee and written by Rey de la Torre. Each piece has a little essay prefacing it. No CD though. On which topic, while I appreciate you are keen on aural guidance, I'd suggest at least in some quarters to try to understand how the notation works and how your own ears analyse and understand how you are reproducing the notation. In the end, that is the big prize.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”