Analysis: Julia Florida, A. Barrios Mangore

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
Les Backshall
Luthier

Re: Analysis: Julia Florida, A. Barrios Mangore

Post by Les Backshall » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:05 pm

cashiPlayer wrote:Has anybody at any point said that that was the purpose of the exercise?
The very first post provides a clue.
jsguitar wrote:...the aim of this thread is (as was in the analysis in the linked thread) to discuss the theory behind this piece as a group with a discussion of the performance aspects after the major points of construction have been discussed. Those construction elements include the harmonic progression, phrases, overall form, and any other aspects of the concrete musical content of this piece that I didn't think to mention here.
Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

blur

Post by blur » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:11 pm

banl wrote:I agree with Flamey, naming those chords isn't going to help me (and I think nobody) to play this piece better. I believe that in the first few replies to this thread Aryeh was saying the same thing. His comment about the placement of the stems gives more insight than the talk about chords.

Here are some things that my teacher taught me when we were working on this piece:

......... f# in measure 47 should be f......
Now where would your teacher have got such an idea?

Oh, wait! Perhaps it might be because measure 47 is basically a dominant E7 leading into the chord of A minor in the next bar, and as such the harmony might be derived from the A harmonic minor scale which has F natural rather than F#. (a, b, c, d, e, f, g#, a)

These are the kinds of things that people can discover for themselves if they are encouraged to do so by participating in a thread such as this. It is a long road and can be difficult, but it is certainly worthwhile for those with the intellectual curiosity to do so.

banl

Post by banl » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:38 pm

I was working from the Stover book, where that note was an f#. It was also played that way on the first recording I ever heard. Delcamp's version has the f.

That's a good explanation you give. It's indeed something people can discover for themselves, once they have seen an explanation like yours.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:33 pm

As this thread was getting repeatedly sidetracked with discussion of interpretation, I have, with James's agreement, moved all the interpretation-related posts to a new thread here. Please use the appropriate thread depending on whether you wish to discuss analysis or interpretation.

In the process I also removed a number of posts which were either off-topic or which may have been making valid points at the time but which are no longer relevant now that the threads have been split. If anyone feels a particularly interesting point in one of their posts has been removed, I can PM a copy on request.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”