Analysis of simple guitar pieces

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
baroquerogue

Re: Analysis of simple guitar pieces

Post by baroquerogue » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:33 pm

My problem here has always been recognizing the chords - it takes me a minute or two to work out what any one particular chord is, and some I can't make sense of at all. That is hardly conducive to good sight reading! :-) I also can't work out how to find these chords on the fret board without working them out note by note, and if I do that, I am back where I started in the first place.

I suppose it improves with practice...
Try starting with a simple one octave scale, then add a 3rd above, then a 5th above. Do this in all registers of the fret board Then build basic triads on the fundamental notes of the scale, again in all registers. Invert the root, add additional tones, etc. Feel free to write these out either in long hand or with notation software.

If you approach the "problem" systematically instead of randomly you will likely learn a tad more quickly...

brianvds

Post by brianvds » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:24 am

Thanks for the further input! I'll have to work through all of this; I'm getting slightly overwhelmed here. :-)

I once saw a book with guitar chords. It was about as thick as a Bible, with thirty or so chords per page. I.e. learning all the chord shapes by heart is akin to learning to read Chinese ideograms - thousands upon thousands of symbols. Well, seeing as a billion Chinese manage to do this in a few years, perhaps it is not actually all that impossible. But my concern with all theory is that all time I spend on it is time I cannot spend on actually playing music, and I worry that I might learn a great deal only to find that it does not actually help me much in practical music.

It's probably not an either/or thing; I would guess some sorts of theory is perhaps more meaningful than others. I noticed, for example, that Delcamp member Rob McKillop has some videos online about 19th century style guitar improvisation, and it is clear from those that some skills absolutely require a knowledge of theory. Unfortunately those videos are at this stage quite above my level; I cannot make head or tails of what he is doing.

In any event, let me first go digest what everyone has written thus far before waxing philosophical... :-)

Mikkel

Post by Mikkel » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:10 pm

Don't bother memorize all the chords, rather than that spend time studying how to construct the chord shapes from any tone on the fretboard - there are many recurring patterns that will become triggered instantly after enough time. Any book that teaches you through brute force memorisation is about as worthless as a toiletpaper.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:29 pm

Mikkel wrote: Any book that teaches you through brute force memorisation is about as worthless as a toiletpaper.
I value toilet paper greatly!

brianvds

Post by brianvds » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:53 am

Mikkel wrote:Don't bother memorize all the chords, rather than that spend time studying how to construct the chord shapes from any tone on the fretboard - there are many recurring patterns that will become triggered instantly after enough time. Any book that teaches you through brute force memorisation is about as worthless as a toiletpaper.
That was the impression I also got. Without consciously looking for chord shapes, I have already noticed that some finger patterns tend to recur, at least with the rather simple kinds of pieces I have been playing so far, so that with some combinations of notes, I can now play them almost automatically when I see them on the page. Perhaps it is just a question of extending this skill a bit.

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”