Twelve Etudes Op. 6 Fernando Sor - An Analysis

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
johnhall

Twelve Etudes Op. 6 Fernando Sor - An Analysis

Postby johnhall » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:10 pm

A few years back I posted an analysis of the complete set of Twelve Etudes Op. 6 by Fernando Sor. It can't hurt to post a reminder in the new musical analysis section. I am including the link to Etude 1 only. All twelve are there, just go back to my blog to find the rest in order. I hope you find it helpful in some way.

http://www.johnhallguitar.com/blog/harmony_in_practice_fernando_sor_etude_i_op6/

John

Marshall Dixon

Re: Twelve Etudes Op. 6 Fernando Sor - An Analysis

Postby Marshall Dixon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Thank you. I am familiar with some of Sor's studies, Segovia's arrangement and others. What I find helpful is your treatmant of the chords involved. The indication of chord progression is typically lacking in musical notation for classical guitar and I end up drawing a schematic above the measure. Analysing it this way helps.

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:01 pm

Thank you John - plenty of food for thought.

To find the other Etudes (it was initially not obvious to me) go to http://www.johnhallguitar.com/blog/ and scroll down quite a way (trying not to get sidetracked by the other interesting articles)

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Brilliant, John. I do the same with my students, but it's great to have it in print. Well done, and many thanks for sharing your work.

johnhall

Postby johnhall » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:41 pm

Excellent! Good to hear. Thanks.

John

djajasoekarta

Postby djajasoekarta » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:06 am

John, thanks to remind us about your writing. I remember getting into your analysis of the Jazzy God Save the Queen etude back then :D

I heard somewhere that the whole set of Op.6 is related (harmonically) one to another and progressing throughout the set. If you don't mind I hope the analysis of that set will be written too :wink:

Cheers
'The woolen cloth of his suit made me question the value of Chinese silks. His fountain pen made me ashamed of my writing brushes and Chinese writing paper' - Puyi

'I don't write music to be difficult, only to be more like itself' - Harrison Birtwistle

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”