Hello from Norfolk, England.

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
uralsteve

Hello from Norfolk, England.

Post by uralsteve » Sat May 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi,

Long time guitarist recently stopped gigging with a band so decided to attempt classical guitar (again).

I am an amateur (read not very good) but take great pleasure from playing the guitar. I have also dabbled in mandolin and banjo but not classical music on those instruments.

Having abandoned the electric plectrum guitar gig I decided to try Travis picking re Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Richard Smith. All these guys used nylon string guitars so I started looking for a hybrid. Somehow I ended up using the Noad book to learn to read and now practice with the classical technique and have abandoned the thumb pick (I would still use it on my Gretsch but I am now worried about messing up my nails, :lol: )

I have Calm radio on most opportunity as there is a classical guitar station (although it may be repetitive in the music choices).

So a long winded post about my path to the classical guitar. It feels like starting from scratch being an ex thumb over, bass string muting thumb picker but i am happy about that and would like to maybe follow a graded learning method. Any recommendations about that?

Thanks,

Steve

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from Norfolk, England.

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat May 09, 2015 9:15 pm

Hello Steve and welcome to Delcamp forum! Feel free to join discussions or start a new topic. Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have made 2 posts, you should subscribe to the 002 group which gives you access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also enables you to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 002 or 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Sat May 09, 2015 10:17 pm

Hello Steve,
Welcome to the Delcamp Forum. It’s wonderful that you found us and have joined with our community of classical guitarists.:discussion:

Mr. Delcamp has started guitar lessons for Delcamp forum members. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn classical guitar from one of the most knowledgeable classical guitar teachers in the world. I think that the new classes will begin in September.

We have a wealth of knowledge within our members who are always very happy to help answer any questions that you may have.
I’m glad that you are here and I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

uralsteve

Post by uralsteve » Sat May 16, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks Erik, I have added my location.

Thanks Kay for the welcome and link, going there now.

Steve

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Sat May 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi Steve welcome. Whereabouts in Norfolk? As you can see I'm from Norfolk, about 20 miles south of Norwich. If you are interested there is a classical guitar circle just outside Diss, google south Norfolk classical guitar circle and the facebook page will give you an idea of what we're upto, we're always on the lookout for new member ;) Great to have another CG in the county.

uralsteve

Post by uralsteve » Sat May 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Muirtan, thanks.

50 miles west of Norwich in Kings lynn. Will have a look, thanks.

Have you noticed a lack of guitar shops in this county?

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Sat May 16, 2015 8:11 pm

Yes a definite lack of guitar shops! One was going to open in Cotishall a couple of days a week, where the owner would get in a guitar if you wanted to try a particular model out but I don't know if it actually got off the ground. I know of a couple of luthiers in the county though mainly in the Norwich area.

There is a chap who lives near Kings Lynn thinking of joining the south Norfolk group. If you're interested in meeting others from your area I'll see if he is interested. I also know of someone near Fakenham.

uralsteve

Post by uralsteve » Sat May 16, 2015 8:50 pm

Whilst it would be good to meet people I am a rank beginner at classical guitar so not sure anyone would be interested. I am also time restricted having a young son and my partner working a lot of evenings lately.

I just looked for teachers. There is not many of them in West Norfolk either although I have found an Australian guy in Dersingham I may contact with reference to infrequent lessons. Working alone with the Solo Guitar Playing book 1 is ok but I need a push in discipline now and again.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Sat May 16, 2015 11:12 pm

My teacher lives in Corpusty and is excellent although more expensive than usual for Norfolk. You can have lessons as you want them and don't need to pay upfront. http://www.jamesboyd.co.uk The contact details are out of date apart from the email address and his mobile number.

uralsteve

Post by uralsteve » Mon May 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Interesting guy. Living a brilliant musical life I think. Thanks for the link.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”