Learning guitar in southern Ontario

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Timothy Squire

Learning guitar in southern Ontario

Postby Timothy Squire » Sat May 16, 2015 3:47 pm

Hello Delcamp! I'm fairly new to the classical guitar. I originally played an electric bass and just recently started to learn notation. When I played bass I scraped by with tablatures, but, since picking up the classical I've been steadily learning notation and I'm actually finding it much easier than tablature. The extra information gleaned from notation helps a lot. I am trying to teach myself as I don't have access to a teacher. I picked up a copy of Noads book, but I wanted to sign up here and supplement my learning.

I am interested in composers Dusan Bogdanovic, Heitor Villa-Lobos and Agustin Barrios. It's my hope that one day I'll be able to play pieces from these composers. Well, that's all for me.

rguitar

Re: Learning guitar in southern Ontario

Postby rguitar » Sun May 17, 2015 2:15 am

Hello Timothy! I'm also in Southern Ontario, and also love playing the music of the composers you mentioned. You are right about the extra information from notation, so keep at the reading - the more you do the easier it gets!

Den
Location: East of Toronto, Ontario, Canada (plenty of raccoons, skunks, coyotes, foxes and beavers)

Postby Den » Mon May 25, 2015 2:49 pm

Welcome aboard, Timothy! I hail from Pickering, just East of TO. You are on the right track with notation. There are excellents private teachers across Southern Ontario, in case you're interested. I took private lessons at the RCM for years... except for the past 2 years ($ issues). :bye:

thatGingerMojo

Postby thatGingerMojo » Mon May 25, 2015 7:32 pm

More Canucks, awesome. I am from Barrie, Ontario. Welcome to the forum.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”