Returning Member

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Jim Stewart

Returning Member

Post by Jim Stewart » Thu May 21, 2015 4:03 pm

I first found this web site a number of years ago when I decided to purchase a classical guitar and find a course of study. Since I am now in my mid 70's and am in declining health my pursuit of learning the guitar has not been as rapid as I would have liked. However, for the first year I followed the course here and tried to move forward meeting the deadlines. At the end of that year I realized that was not feasible so I started my own schedule of study as suggested by M. Delcamp. I have been following the lessons into the third year which I have now completed to my satisfaction. Because of nerve damage my fingers do not always work the way they should so I have been hesitant to post my music and allow it to be the subject of public comment. I can say that without the access to this course and the guidance I have received on this site I never would have been playing the music I am able to play. My wife enjoys my playing as evidenced by the fact that in four years she has yet to leave the room or tell me to put my guitar away. I have returned with the hopes of moving beyond third year but, since I must move at my own pace, I may not complete the exam portion of the course. I look forward to renewing my membership and catching up with the changes on the site. I have actually introduced a number of my friends and friends of friends to the site and believe many of them have signed on as members. I will see how it goes and see if I can keep up with the requirements.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Returning Member

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu May 21, 2015 4:12 pm

Hello Jim and welcome back to Delcamp forum! Feel free to join discussions or start a new topic. Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have made 2 posts, you should subscribe to the 002 group which gives you access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also enables you to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 002 or 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu May 21, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi Jim, good to see you back!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart » Fri May 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks, GeoffB. As I recall you looked after me the first time I was here.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:51 pm

Welcome back, Jim. Please note that the posting requirement is one a month. Keep that up and you won't have to re-register again.

Cheers,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri May 22, 2015 11:07 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:Thanks, GeoffB. As I recall you looked after me the first time I was here.
Indeed I did, Jim. You'll be an old hand at it this time, though there have been a few changes, so feel free to ask if there's anything you need to know.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

fuyioioih

Post by fuyioioih » Mon May 25, 2015 6:57 am

Mid 70's. Deadlines. I'm 78 and have been playing for most of my life. I tried deadlines and found them to be a serious detriment to my playing. For me the point of guitar music is how it makes me feel. If your wife enjoys what you play, you have made a great accomplishment. You have brought her joy, I'm sure. Mine sings along with my playing, and waits when I forget where I am in the piece.
I'm sorry to hear about the nerve problem and happy that you have chosen to play and learn anyway. You will do well.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”