Western Guitar and classical Guitar music

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
BeatH

Western Guitar and classical Guitar music

Postby BeatH » Sun May 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi
I'm playing guitar since more then 40 years sometimes more sometimes less.
Started with folk and blues, I'm pure autodidact and play just for fun.
Some times ago I heard Sor, Tarrega and Paganini. Since then I changed. I'm fan of this music.
Now I'm trying to master Paganini Sonaten.
I'm still playing with a Western Guitar (Guild F30) and steel strings.
I'm considering to change to a classical guitar.
Does somebody has the same western-guitar background? Specifically does it make a huge difference when playing with a classical guitar.
My current problem is playing F barree's with the steel strings.
Thanks for a feedback
Beat

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Western Guitar and classical Guitar music

Postby GeoffB » Sun May 24, 2015 6:24 pm

Hi Beat,

Welcome to the forum! Quite a few of our members started on steel strung acoustic guitars before switching to classical. Generally a classical guitar is felt to be better for the classical repertoire, from the point of view of tone, sustain, etc. You can find a couple of discussions about the differences here and here.

Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started on the forum, including links to the rules and helpfiles. You now have access to all members' scores and recordings. After you have posted 2 messages, you can subscribe to the 002 group, which will give you access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

BeatH

Postby BeatH » Mon May 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Hi Geoff
Thanks for the links.
This is what I was looking for: Read about experience in this subject.
Best regards
Beat

Rick Hutt

Postby Rick Hutt » Tue May 26, 2015 2:49 pm

Welcome! I play both steel string and classical pretty much daily. I am in a country swing/bluegrass band, and nothing matches my Martins for cutting through the other instruments. But for classical music, the nylong string guitar is almost a necessity. Its wider fingerboard takes a bit to get used to, but you will probably be more satisfied with the sound of Sor, tarrega, etc. on the classical guitar. Enjoy!
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”