Greetings form a Classical Guitar novice from India!

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
picatawagadoodle

Greetings form a Classical Guitar novice from India!

Post by picatawagadoodle » Mon May 25, 2015 3:30 pm

Hello.
I am a 17 year old homeschooler and I am learning Classical Guitar from a tutor.

I have been playing classical guitar ( Yamaha C70 ) since the past six months, and I am about to give the Trinity Grade 3 examination.
Prior to this I learnt the acoustic guitar up to Grade 4, playing the same for about a year.

I started learning from a Carcassi Method book, and so far I have played pieces by Carulli, Carcassi and Sor.
I have also played a few pieces by Hans Nuesidler, Caspar Sanz and Johann Kaspar Mertz.

Aside from playing, I enjoy articulating the chord progressions and cadences and the modulations from pieces that I play.
Moreover the historical context of the composers and their work fascinates me.

I have listened to a little bit of John Williams and I am familiar with some of the works of Vivaldi, Beethoven and Bach. Aside from Western Classical music, I also listen to Mark Knopfler, Ulf Wakenius, Leonard Cohen, Kings of Convenience and Mumford and Sons.

I aspire to pursue music and composition as a formal career and at this forum I hope to engage in discussions regarding music, and augment my appreciation and understanding of music written for Classical Guitar. I would love to know the historical backgrounds of different composers, and the context behind each Opus.

Regards.
Picata.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Greetings form a Classical Guitar novice from India!

Post by GeoffB » Mon May 25, 2015 6:14 pm

Hello Picata,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will find plenty to interest and inspire you here. Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. You now have access to all members' scores and recordings. After you have posted 2 messages, you can subscribe to the 002 group, which will give you access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon May 25, 2015 7:21 pm

Welcome and a nomination for the most stimulating forum name of recent times!

I'm really thrilled so many folks from, specifically India, are coming on board in nowadays. Many magnificent players from other parts of Asia and other points have been established for many years, and I look forward to the first really great Indian players - and composers - emerging. I was in Calcutta for the guitar festival in 2013 and visited Bangalore to work with young players, so have seen some of the first signs of this already.

Stephen
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

picatawagadoodle

Post by picatawagadoodle » Wed May 27, 2015 5:00 am

Thank you Stephen and Geoff, for the warm welcome! I look forward to learning from and participating in interesting discussions.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”