Savarez Copper wound for multistrings

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
Alain Cloutier

Savarez Copper wound for multistrings

Post by Alain Cloutier » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:07 pm

I just installed Savarez Copper wound for Early Intruments on my thirteen string Dresden guitar and so far I noticed that they produce less overtones and that the basses ringing is easier to control.

Something the alto and ten string players might like to try.

mikfik

Re: Savarez Copper wound for multistrings

Post by mikfik » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:09 pm

Where did you get your copper wound strings. I've had a set of these strings on my Dresden for a few years and I love them but they are getting very old and I want to replace them with a new set. Can you please tell me who is selling them these days. The last time I ordered them from Boston Catlines, they sent me silver wound strings. I agree that the copper wound basses work very well on the 13 string Dresden.

Alain Cloutier

Post by Alain Cloutier » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:56 pm

mikfik wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:09 pm
Where did you get your copper wound strings. I've had a set of these strings on my Dresden for a few years and I love them but they are getting very old and I want to replace them with a new set. Can you please tell me who is selling them these days. The last time I ordered them from Boston Catlines, they sent me silver wound strings. I agree that the copper wound basses work very well on the 13 string Dresden.
From Boston Catlines. The fourth is copper wounded too but Pyramid instead of Savarez.

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:01 pm

Hello mikfik,

I assume that Alain Cloutier (big up for this great musician who plays Weiss wonderfully!) refers to Savarez Alliance KF, which come in about each and every diameter and lenght. The wound strings are indeed available either in silver or copper, and both are OK for early instruments; silver may sound a little brighter than copper, which has a more intimate sound, as stated by Alain.

So, searching online will surely get you more results with the keyword "alliance kf".
Hope this helps,
regards,

Gilles

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:34 pm

Aquila also do copper wound, both 'D' and 'DE' type - intended for lute style instruments but I often put them on small romantic style guitars. Kurschner also sold some lovely sounding copper wound strings but it's many years since I bought them.
Historicalguitars.

Alain Cloutier

Post by Alain Cloutier » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:23 pm

gilles T wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:01 pm

So, searching online will surely get you more results with the keyword "alliance kf".
Hope this helps,
regards,

Gilles
I received them in these packages and it,s not written "kf" anywhere. I added a photo of the Pyramid for the fourth string too.

Et merci pour le compliment!
IMG_0333.jpg
IMG_0326.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:12 pm

Ok, dear Alain,

You're right : "kf" is for the plain strings, "nfc" is the the correct reference for wound strings.

As for the congrat, you're welcome ; à mon avis votre art mérite des éloges beaucoup plus détaillés than this small appreciation, mais je crains que my poor english me contraigne à être bref.

Anyway, thanks for your enduring inspiration.
Gilles

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:33 pm

I'll have to give them a try at some point. I used to use them on the lute. How is the intonation on them?

Alain Cloutier

Post by Alain Cloutier » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Emil Krasich wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:33 pm
I'll have to give them a try at some point. I used to use them on the lute. How is the intonation on them?
So far I like them. Less overtones and less sustain from the basses. My wife prefer them so since she's the one having to hear me everyday I don't have a choice here!

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”