Czech 11 String Guitar Brought Back to Life...

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Czech 11 String Guitar Brought Back to Life...

Post by Scot Tremblay » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:15 am

A few months back I restored a 11 string (7 + 4) instrument built in 1909, in Kyiv by Czech builder and player Kucherov, a very fine luthier and performer for sure. The instruments resurrection proved to be one of the more interesting and, I must admit, difficult projects I've undertaken in some time. But with a little time, patience, perseverance, the odd foray into my play book of colourful language...oh, and a fresh batch of hide glue I succeeded in my part, with the help of its owner Oleg Timofeyev (always ready with encouragement and superior playing ability) to return this amazing instrument to the concert setting. The two of them, Kucherov guitar and Oleg, along with a couple friends have just completed a most successful tour of the Pacific North West coast for the 2016 Salish Sea Early Music Festival.

As promised in an earlier post concerning this instrument, here is a video of it and its "band members" in action. I hope all find it enjoyable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibam158XZ4I
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

hanredman

Re: Czech 11 String Guitar Brought Back to Life...

Post by hanredman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:48 am

Wonderful piece of work, Scott. I can see what you meant by the amount of patient labor that must have gone into this guitar. There is just something about older guitars that is heart warming and mellow. I am not a side flute lover, most irritating sound of all instruments ever invented, so IMHO this guy is too loud and overpowering. Maybe the angle and positioning of the microphone was just too close to the flute. Every time the guitar player tries to make himself, or rather his wonderful guitar, heard, this flute guy just drowns him out in a split second........::-) Ok, sorry, I do not like the flute, as you can gather.........:-)
Joseph Redman
Amateur Guitar Builder

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Re: Czech 11 String Guitar Brought Back to Life...

Post by Scot Tremblay » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:21 am

No need to apologize, I agree. Not the best recording but better than the other I have access to...a solo one done with a cell phone...so I posted this one. Oleg will be recording with the guitar in the not too distant future so there are better things to come.

It is very satisfying to hear that the guitar is coming back to life after being dormant, in dire need of repair, for so many years. I expect grande things from the pair in the future.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”