11 String Tuners and Russian Quart Guitar...

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
Scot Tremblay
Luthier

11 String Tuners and Russian Quart Guitar...

Post by Scot Tremblay » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:46 pm

It is always a special moment when the Postal person (A nice young lady who calls me "Mr. Roseberry" (after my company name) and writes little musical notes on my notices) brings a package. This one all the way from Rubner Machines in Germany containing two sets of special made tuners for Russian tuning 11 string (7+4) guitars. One of my clients is going to be happy to see these. :wink:
unnamed-22.jpg
They will be going on a replica of this instrument (with reconstruction of the neck and bridge to original design) which is a Quart guitar. The quart was tuned a 4th higher than the standard Russian tuning (DGBDGBD) and is the Russian equivalent of the terz guitar...same body size and string length as a Viennese terz but generally with the seven strings on the fretboard and extended bass strings (7+3 - 4).
unnamed-23.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Dave M

Re: 11 String Tuners and Russian Quart Guitar...

Post by Dave M » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:04 pm

It's interesting isn't it that almost any 'innovation' has been done before in guitar design. The double soundholes up round he neck body joint really did look radical a few years back but they weren't.

There must be a lot of tension to be supported by that top...
Dave

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:45 pm

Dave M wrote:It's interesting isn't it that almost any 'innovation' has been done before in guitar design. The double sound holes up round he neck body joint really did look radical a few years back but they weren't...
That old adage really rings true for our beloved instrument...There is nothing new under the sun...the only things I know of that are actually "innovative" and new in the modern guitar are not design feature but materials, epoxy glue, carbon fibre and Nomex. Modern design features like double tops, double backs, laminated sides/backs/tops, elevated fingerboards, sound ports and on and on were all tried in the 19th century. There were things that are still to be "rediscovered" and incorporated into the modern guitar as the newest most original innovation...it's all been done before. :?
Dave M wrote:..There must be a lot of tension to be supported by that top...
There is a 1/4 - 3/8" metal rod inside the body, with a tension adjusting feature, that runs from the heel block to the end block just a 1/16"+/- away from the soundboard braces. This takes up the majority of the tension exerted on the soundboard by the extra strings. The added mass besides adding support and mass to the instrument seems to improve the volume, sustain and clarity to the instrument. When it is removed the volume especially is effected but the others are also, albeit, less so.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:24 pm

That looks interesting - are you building the replica?
Hope we get to see some of it

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Anthony Campanella wrote:That looks interesting - are you building the replica?
Hope we get to see some of it
Yes, I will build the replica but first I need to replace the neck on the one in the photo (I didn't make that clear in my post...). The neck the instrument came with isn't the original but was put on sometime in the first half of the 20th century making a it of a Frankensteins Monster out of the guitar.

I will document it as I go, I'm sure.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:09 pm

Wow!
Being Russian, I'd never suspect that such guitar ever existed, and I've heard a lot of Russian 7 string and balalaika... :-)
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:35 pm

Vlad Kosulin wrote:Wow!
Being Russian, I'd never suspect that such guitar ever existed, and I've heard a lot of Russian 7 string and balalaika... :-)
According to the boys of the Czars Guitars, the extended bass double neck instruments were very popular in 19th century Russian guitar circles. Many Viennese adjustable neck instruments made by Scherzer, Reisinger and others went there to be converted. And many of the local makers built this style instrument copying many features from the Viennese instruments...
Scot Tremblay Guitars

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”