Tuning of Raphael Rabellos' 7-string guitar

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
rojarosguitar

Tuning of Raphael Rabellos' 7-string guitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Just came across a youtube video of Raphael Rabello playing Recuerdos. Looks like his seventh string is much thinner than the bass E string.

Does anybody here know whether that's true and what kind of tuning he is using there?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

JohnW400

Re: Tuning of Raphael Rabellos' 7-string guitar

Post by JohnW400 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:48 pm

I believe he tuned it to B.

There is a book of transcriptions for tunes from his CD's floating around the web. According to the transcription for "Luiza" the lowest open note is B. do a search for Fernando Presta and you should come up with a link to a book containing the arrangement .

He was a monster player. I have 4 or 5 of his CD's. They were not east to come by.

Ron Hoggard

Post by Ron Hoggard » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:36 pm

This Brazilian man, Ovidio Oliveira, is very knowledgable regarding the 7-string guitar. I am certain he would know what Rabello used for the 7th string. Ovidio is a master of the choro himself. This is his YT page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiPM86 ... FsSAGQW5Rg

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:44 pm

Thanks for the hints...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:57 am

JohnW400 wrote:I believe he tuned it to B.

There is a book of transcriptions for tunes from his CD's floating around the web. According to the transcription for "Luiza" the lowest open note is B. do a search for Fernando Presta and you should come up with a link to a book containing the arrangement .

He was a monster player. I have 4 or 5 of his CD's. They were not east to come by.
I've tried to order that book but my payment was refunded because it's not in print or available any more; do you know any source for this book (apart from these second hand offers at 100 bucks)?

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:23 pm

I don't know about Raphael Rabello, but many of the Brazilian players are quite willing to help when contacted. I have at least one of his books so haven't needed to contact him but have had success with others. My experience was that they were happy and amazed actually, that people outside of Brazil were interested in their music...Try Facebook or the artists web page for contact info.

The Brazilian 7 string is tuned like a standard classical with an addition of usually a C or, as in the case of Raphael Rabello, B for the 7th string.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:14 pm

Thanks, Scott...

attila57

Post by attila57 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi,

I hope your 7-string issue has been solved by now. Anyway, a few tips, if you don't mind.

The Brazilians have a great heritage of 7-string music, which I don't know well. The Russians also come to play when it's about 7 strings, but their tuning is different: D-G-H-d-g-h-d, which to me is rather harsh-sounding. Anyway, there's a lot of music around for that tuning. But if you really want to justify your investment on 7 strings, you must get away from these and invent your own tuning, which is suitable to the kind of music you want to play. It takes time and effort to figure out the right one and it will completely turn up your well established practice, but it's well worth. Or else you'll just hopelessly try to find occasional uses for the extra string. Oh, and an extra point: your guitar's resonance is an important factor, too. It might be well suited to one tuning and absolutely wrong for the other...

Attila :bye:
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:22 pm

attila57 wrote:Hi,

I hope your 7-string issue has been solved by now. Anyway, a few tips, if you don't mind.

The Brazilians have a great heritage of 7-string music, which I don't know well. The Russians also come to play when it's about 7 strings, but their tuning is different: D-G-H-d-g-h-d, which to me is rather harsh-sounding. Anyway, there's a lot of music around for that tuning. But if you really want to justify your investment on 7 strings, you must get away from these and invent your own tuning, which is suitable to the kind of music you want to play. It takes time and effort to figure out the right one and it will completely turn up your well established practice, but it's well worth. Or else you'll just hopelessly try to find occasional uses for the extra string. Oh, and an extra point: your guitar's resonance is an important factor, too. It might be well suited to one tuning and absolutely wrong for the other...

Thanks for your suggestions. A agree about the need of having one's own investigation and developing a language that is suitable to one's musical ideas. That's what I try to do. But I found Rafael Rabellos' sound interesting and worth looking into.

attila57

Post by attila57 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:30 pm

Now that you say it, I must look into that, too...

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:44 pm

I generally tune my 7th to an A an octave below the 6th, but Bb, B and C can also be used. I use a D'Addario .060" for the 7th. Rabello generally used a low B, Yamandu Coste tunes his 7th for the piece: A, B or C. Rabello was one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived, numbering among his fans Paco de Lucia and Pat Metheny, among many others. I have 10 of his CDs and the book or arrangements, his music is a bit easier to play than it sounds. As a Brazilian player, he straddled the composed/improvised world's very comforably, check out his youtube video on Recuerdos, where he improvises a very beautiful introduction.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

attila57

Post by attila57 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:12 pm

Hello again,
I've been practising intensively on my 7-string guitar, and have just come to the conclusion, that going below C with the bass string is nonsense, because I lose all life in the bass tone.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:35 am

rojarosguitar wrote:Just came across a youtube video of Raphael Rabello playing Recuerdos. Looks like his seventh string is much thinner than the bass E string.

Does anybody here know whether that's true and what kind of tuning he is using there?
Thanks for this theme! very interesting !

Youtube
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:43 am

attila57 wrote:Hello again,
I've been practising intensively on my 7-string guitar, and have just come to the conclusion, that going below C with the bass string is nonsense, because I lose all life in the bass tone.
Can't confirm that. I have B below the usual E as deepest bass as my regular tuning (Using a Hannabach C-string tuned half step lower, because Hannabach are quite high tension) and the B that is coming out of my 7-strings flamenca negra built by Alexandru Marian (member here) is as alive as it can be. I sometimes even tune it down to A, and, while it looses some focus, is still musically usable.

attila57

Post by attila57 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:40 pm

That's good news! At least I know that it is possible to build a guitar that can handle low B and A strings. Unfortunately my instrument lacks that ability to respond to such low frequencies. The wood seems to be the most important factor here. B and A becomes rather dull and dark, without many harmonics. The tension is OK, I tried more pull and less, too, things didn't get any better. So all I can do is stick to C as the lowest bass... :(

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”