Tuning of Raphael Rabellos' 7-string guitar

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
rojarosguitar

Re: Tuning of Raphael Rabellos' 7-string guitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:42 am

I would not overstimate the wood. It's mainly the top construction (the proper thicknes, bracing, all the small details we usually don't think about), together with the properly chosen main resonace frequency of the body, that makes it work.

The second important factor could be the strings, the proper string tension etc. If the top is very stiff, you might experiment with higher string tension; with more responding tops you might need to go to lower tension. The properly chosen string tension works wonder. Also string timbre makes a differences. If the higher strings have more harmonics, this could even influence the sound of the lowest string.

My guitar has been built by Alexandru Marian from Bucuresti/Romania. He is a very good maker and his prices are still very affordable... He's member of the forum here...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:17 pm

I forgot to mention, that Alexandru built in a short wooden tornavoz and that might help with the fullness of the bass...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:05 pm

As an added bit of info: the Brazilian 7-string guitarists rarely play unamplified. Most have either a built-in mic setup (Rabello) or a pickup (Costa) or both. I have 3 nylon-strung 7-string guitars, and all have some kind of pickup system, from K & K to RMC. The clatter of Brazilian percussion overwhelms any unamplified guitar, and I also play mine in African ensembles and jazz groups, so amplification is, like with steel-string electric guitars, part of the instrument. If you are a soloist, then a well-made concert-quality instrument should suffice in a friendly hall without amplification, but the low notes do benefit from electric reinforcement.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”