Inexpensive Brahms guitar?

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
Robert Cote
Student of the online lessons

Inexpensive Brahms guitar?

Post by Robert Cote » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:13 pm

I've gotten very interested in purchasing an 8-string "Brahms" guitar similar to the one that Paul Galbraith plays; however, to have one built by Martin Woodhouse looks to be in the neighborhood of $4600 USD. This is a price I would gladly pay if I were positive that a Brahms guitar would be a good fit for me, but at the moment I'd prefer to try out something much less expensive and then eventually graduate to a pricey, well-made Brahms guitar.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Rondo Agile Renaissance 8-string, which comes with strings tuned F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-E (two lower strings added to the traditional six) and restringing it B-E-A-D-G-B-E-A (one lower string and one higher string added to the traditional six). Has anyone tried this? Or are there any other inexpensive options that would fit the bill? I know Ibanez also makes an 8-string tuned F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-E, but it doesn't have fanned frets and costs $200 more than the Rondo.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

gilles T

Re: Inexpensive Brahms guitar?

Post by gilles T » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:47 pm

Dear Robert Cote,

I recently purchased a second-hand 8-strings Orfea guitar (google it, since commercial links are not allowed here). The lutherie is made in China, but the brand is a german one, with high standards of quality. I plan to post a dedicated thread about it, when I will be able to post pictures (the most complicated part of the job for me...)

Well, I'm very impressed by the quality of this low-priced instrument. It's a bit on the heavy side (the truss-rod might explain that) but it is in no way "overbuilt"; the intonation is perfect, every note rings just like it should (with no over-sustained basses), and the ebony tuners work perfectly.

The big plus : the saddle features muliple holes, and the nut multiple slots, so you can string it as a seven string, or as any 8-strings tuning you might choose, be it Brahms or not.

I tune it B-D-E-A-D-F#-B-E, just like an 8 course lute in E would be tuned, because I play mostly renaissance and baroque repertoire.

Hope this will help.
Regards,

Gilles

Robert Cote

Post by Robert Cote » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks very much for the suggestion, Gilles! I'm still leaning toward the Rondo 8 string because I want to see if a multiscale guitar is something I can get used to, but it's good to know that a decent, inexpensive Orfea 8 string is available.

BaRaN

Post by BaRaN » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:16 am

I am waiting for my ibanez 8 string. When it comes, I make a review about it. İf you buy Rondo Renaissance 8 string. Please make a review and maybe a video :) Because I wanted to buy it but shipping and taxes make the guitar 1000+$ to me. So ibanez was more "budget guitar" for me. But I am still thinking about rondo model so still waiting for a good review :)

Robert Cote

Post by Robert Cote » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:36 pm

Thanks, BaRaN. I look forward to your review of the Ibanez. I'm happy to post a video of the Rondo, although it will be a while before buy it, and longer still before I can play anything on it well enough to share on YouTube ;)

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”