7 Strings Capodaster

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
rojarosguitar

7 Strings Capodaster

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:39 pm

I'm looking for a capodaster for my 7 strings flamenca. Is anybody aware of such a capodaster that would suite a 7 strings nylon guitar (I saw some for multistring alectric instruments with individually adjustable levers; Spider XL).
Advice much appreciated
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

David_Norton

Re: 7 Strings Capodaster

Post by David_Norton » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:38 pm

There's a fellow on E B A Y who makes traditional cejillas for any guitar. I had him make me one for my 8-string, and one for my 10. He can turn them around in a week. Look up "cejilla" on E B A Y USA and that should get you there.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:02 pm

Not sure if this helps, but the G7 brand capo has an effective width of 64mm. This is the flat one for classical.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:18 am

I use a 6-string Shubb capo on my 7-string. It works fine up to the 2nd fret. I have not tried higher up on the neck that that.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:46 am

Thanks for the ideas... I'll look into that.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:50 am

you can buy 7,8, or 10 string cejillas from SBM.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

attila57

Post by attila57 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Making your own capo - or cejilla - is not too difficult and very cost effective. Then you can have as many strings as you want. I can confirm that the Shubb 6-string flat capo can work on a 7-string instrument, depending on the flatboard width. For a simple 10-string cejilla you need a piece of rosewood or ebony, a piece of nylon G string, a violin tuning peg and some padding for the strings, a piece of leather or a strip of carbon rubber.
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:01 pm

attila57 wrote:Making your own capo - or cejilla - is not too difficult and very cost effective. Then you can have as many strings as you want. I can confirm that the Shubb 6-string flat capo can work on a 7-string instrument, depending on the flatboard width. For a simple 10-string cejilla you need a piece of rosewood or ebony, a piece of nylon G string, a violin tuning peg and some padding for the strings, a piece of leather or a strip of carbon rubber.
Excellent idea.
isn't the violin peg too big?

attila57

Post by attila57 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:56 pm

No, just right. Must drill a hole through its neck for the G string.
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:23 pm

:D Just ordered 1/8 violin pegs ...

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:26 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:I'm looking for a capodaster for my 7 strings flamenca. Is anybody aware of such a capodaster that would suite a 7 strings nylon guitar (I saw some for multistring alectric instruments with individually adjustable levers; Spider XL).
Advice much appreciated
Robert
Shubb will make you a "Pinocchio" capo for little more than their standard one. It's the best deal in town, IMO. Just be aware that they only extend the part that goes over the strings, and they leave the back part at the length used for a six string. This shouldn't present a problem for a seven string, but the wider the fret-board gets, the less of the moon-shaped padding cups the back. I'm probably not expaining this well, but for a seven string, a Shubb Pinocchio should work beautifully (about $35 or $40).

~Sean

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:59 pm

A friend of mine helped me to solve the problem by piggy-backing a 6-String cejilla onto a wider piece of ebony.

Here's the result:
IMG_2230.JPG
Fits perfectly! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 pm

:D That' s funny, initially there was some interest, but now that I have found a solution nobody seems to notice...

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”