Upcoming 13 string Dresden Guitar

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
Emil Krasich

Upcoming 13 string Dresden Guitar

Post by Emil Krasich » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi all,

I figured that I'd post about a Thames' Dresden guitar that I commissioned which will be done within a couple of weeks. I owned a baroque lute several years ago but ended up giving up on it for several of the reasons which the Dresden guitar solves such as fixed frets, single strings, using modern guitar technique (nails), easy to tune, comfortable to hold, etc. I'm super excited to get to play baroque lute repertoire that I love again. This will be the first Dresden guitar to feature a balsa core double top. Here are a few pics of it in progress.

Here Michael is planing down the outer skin and balsa slats:

A couple of pictures after some finish was applied:

I'll post more pics as I get them.

Ricardo Barros
Amateur luthier

Re: Upcoming 13 string Dresden Guitar

Post by Ricardo Barros » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:37 pm

beautiful guitar !

congratulations !
Sergio Abreu 2012 (sp/ir)
Ricardo Barros 2013 (cd/ir)

astro64

Post by astro64 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:06 pm

Exciting. You'll have your hands full, literally....Michael builds a great guitar.

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:30 am

Thanks you. I'm giddy with anticipation. I'm wondering how long it will be until I pick up my 6 string after receiving this instrument :shock: . I have this feeling that my girlfriend will complain that I'm not paying enough attention to her at least for the first few weeks. She has been warned though :wink: .

Alain Cloutier

Post by Alain Cloutier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:07 pm

Emil Krasich wrote:Thanks you. I'm giddy with anticipation. I'm wondering how long it will be until I pick up my 6 string after receiving this instrument :shock: . I have this feeling that my girlfriend will complain that I'm not paying enough attention to her at least for the first few weeks. She has been warned though :wink: .
Haven't touched my 6 strings for five years now... :oops: and, yes, my wife got jealous! :lol:

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:23 pm

Alain Cloutier wrote:Haven't touched my 6 strings for five years now... :oops: and, yes, my wife got jealous! :lol:
There are so many pieces that I want to work on for the Dresden that this might very well be the case for me too. Love my 6 string though, so I'll just have to make sure to rotate other repertoire in periodically. My plan is to work with Yisrael's method and Blohm (Galenterie in F major and Partie in d minor) first to get comfortable before tackling Falkenhagen and Weiss. The finish is still curing so she's probably a few days away still from getting setup...

Alain Cloutier

Post by Alain Cloutier » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Emil Krasich wrote: My plan is to work with Yisrael's method and Blohm (Galenterie in F major and Partie in d minor) first to get comfortable before tackling Falkenhagen and Weiss. The finish is still curing so she's probably a few days away still from getting setup...
I work with that method too mostly to get use to the tabs but I think the playing technique is irrelevant. It almost doesn't address the dampening of the basses that is, imo, the biggest challenge with a multi string guitar.

I decided to learn the Allemande of that suite, here: viewtopic.php?f=112&t=87745, because of many ascending basses in the second part. I had to learn to use the upper side of my thumb to avoid the cacophony!

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:35 pm

It must be a challenge to reach the thumb to that 13th string, especially when you're plucking the 1st string at the same time. I feel pretty maxed out with my 11-string. But I have small hands.

Alain Cloutier

Post by Alain Cloutier » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:46 pm

soltirefa wrote:It must be a challenge to reach the thumb to that 13th string, especially when you're plucking the 1st string at the same time. I feel pretty maxed out with my 11-string. But I have small hands.
It is with a pi combination but it's easy for me with pa and even pm. I play with my fingers at a more or less 45 degree angle to the strings, it probably helps too.

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Yeah, I've worked from the Yisreal method before. It gives enough of a starting point on dampening basses and great thumb jumping exercises. I already dampen quite a bit on standard classical guitar, but it's an even greater focus on a multi-string instrument tuned in seconds and thirds. I agree with Alain about the 1 to 13 stretch. Not bad if you use your ring finger as was my experience on baroque lute.

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:20 pm

Arriving tomorrow. Pictures galore!

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:14 pm

Here's a link to Michael's blog where he discusses quite a bit about making his guitars. I loved the balsa core double top one:

http://www.thamesclassicalguitars.com/the-blog/

Check out the other guitars on his blog as well.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Michael has amazing skills to build such a wide array of differently styled guitars.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:51 pm

Damn I want one of those, but probably will never own one. I can't imagine how you'd control all the sympathetic vibration anyway...

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:01 pm

2handband wrote:Damn I want one of those, but probably will never own one. I can't imagine how you'd control all the sympathetic vibration anyway...
Where it makes so much baroque lute music easier to play, stopping a bass note that shouldn't be sounding is definitely the biggest challenge after programming your thumb to always hit the right bass note (you need to not look actually, hahah!). This will be a lot easier and more comfortable than baroque lute though in my opinion, plus I can keep my nails.

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”