Weiss on eleven strings

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
attila57

Re: Weiss on eleven strings

Post by attila57 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:37 pm

Altophile wrote:
Thank you for that, I'll have a look and give this one a try.

Have you tried this approach on the L'infidele suite, the G Minor Ciacona, the famous Passacaglia, or the two Tombeau? I consider these to be Weiss' finest works (along with a few others), and if there's a way to make them easier to perform, I'm all ears:-)

~Sean
Not yet, but if you like this, I can supply you with the Gigue for this suite and the well-known Fantasia. I have the 10-string versions, too, for my own baroque re-entrant tuning. I have to confess, that these pieces sound better on 10 strings. However, because of the re-entrant tuning, I mostly finger the basses. I'm planning to do more, but I'm always short of time.

Attila :bye:

PS: Weiss was a genius, doesn't matter how many strings we use...
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

Alain Cloutier

Post by Alain Cloutier » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:05 pm

attila57 wrote:

PS: Weiss was a genius, doesn't matter how many strings we use...
I totally agree, Weiss was a genius but I wouldn't return to less than thirteen strings. It's way too much fun to have access to all his repertoire without having to make any arrangements. I just need to open any of my tablature book and strart playing.

:bye:

attila57

Post by attila57 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:19 pm

That's right. I'm doing the same thing, too! Just poor me has to put up with only an 11-string lute, a 10-string guitar, a 7-string guitar and numerous 6-string ones. So what could I do? I had to invent suitable tunings to be able to use both the instruments and the original tab. Actually, with my tunings I can use the original baroque tab without much modification, which, with some practice, I can do it in my mind while I play.

Attila :bye:

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:27 am

attila57 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:13 pm
Altophile wrote:
I'm happy to learn something new, though, so if you would like to upload one or two of your D Minor arrangements, I'll give them a try and see how well they work. The pieces I tried to play with D Minor tuning just didn't work well at all for me.

~Sean
I've just uploaded a 7-string Prelude arrangement to the Our scores... Our tabulatures section. As you will see, I'm using baroque lute tab. Because of the baroque d-minor tuning I was able to keep the trebles as in the original version, whereas I had to modify the bass layout to arrange the basses for the existing two bass strings (D & G). It makes the whole process very fast and rewarding, without the need of changing all the fingerings in the whole range.

Attila
Can you provide a link? I'm having trouble finding it. There are too may sections to this busy forum!

~Sean

attila57

Post by attila57 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:18 pm

Altophile wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:27 am

Can you provide a link? I'm having trouble finding it. There are too may sections to this busy forum!

~Sean
Geez man, you're asking me too much, but I'm trying to.

Right, I cannot, cos I'm editing from my phone keyboard. But it is easy to find:

1. Go to the BOARD INDEX screen
2. Go to the "OUR SCORES for the Classical Guitar" section
3. Go to the "OUR TABULATURES for the Class. Guit." subsection
4. Find the "WEISS S.L.- Prelude, Suite 5, MS Dresden - 7-string guitar" entry towards the end of the first page of entries
5. Click on the entry & download the score

Good luck!

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:53 am

attila57 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:18 pm
Altophile wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:27 am

~Sean
Geez man, you're asking me too much, but I'm trying to.

Right, I cannot, cos I'm editing from my phone keyboard. But it is easy to find:

1. Go to the BOARD INDEX screen
2. Go to the "OUR SCORES for the Classical Guitar" section
3. Go to the "OUR TABULATURES for the Class. Guit." subsection
4. Find the "WEISS S.L.- Prelude, Suite 5, MS Dresden - 7-string guitar" entry towards the end of the first page of entries
5. Click on the entry & download the score

Good luck!
I found it shortly after I posted, but thanks for the direction:-)

~Sean

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”