Weiss on eleven strings

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
attila57

Re: Weiss on eleven strings

Post by attila57 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:37 pm

Altophile wrote:
Thank you for that, I'll have a look and give this one a try.

Have you tried this approach on the L'infidele suite, the G Minor Ciacona, the famous Passacaglia, or the two Tombeau? I consider these to be Weiss' finest works (along with a few others), and if there's a way to make them easier to perform, I'm all ears:-)

~Sean
Not yet, but if you like this, I can supply you with the Gigue for this suite and the well-known Fantasia. I have the 10-string versions, too, for my own baroque re-entrant tuning. I have to confess, that these pieces sound better on 10 strings. However, because of the re-entrant tuning, I mostly finger the basses. I'm planning to do more, but I'm always short of time.

Attila :bye:

PS: Weiss was a genius, doesn't matter how many strings we use...
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

Alain Cloutier

Post by Alain Cloutier » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:05 pm

attila57 wrote:

PS: Weiss was a genius, doesn't matter how many strings we use...
I totally agree, Weiss was a genius but I wouldn't return to less than thirteen strings. It's way too much fun to have access to all his repertoire without having to make any arrangements. I just need to open any of my tablature book and strart playing.

:bye:

attila57

Post by attila57 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:19 pm

That's right. I'm doing the same thing, too! Just poor me has to put up with only an 11-string lute, a 10-string guitar, a 7-string guitar and numerous 6-string ones. So what could I do? I had to invent suitable tunings to be able to use both the instruments and the original tab. Actually, with my tunings I can use the original baroque tab without much modification, which, with some practice, I can do it in my mind while I play.

Attila :bye:
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”