10-string troubles - I keep breaking my A string

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
tkoehler1

10-string troubles - I keep breaking my A string

Post by tkoehler1 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:14 am

So I was sitting outside today minding my own business when BOING!!!! my A string breaks on my 10 string. This is the 3rd time in 5 months!!!

So am I doing something wrong? Is a 10 string that much different from a 6 string? Oddly the stings keep breaking at the bridge, not the head stock. Am I just cursed? :?:

David Norton

Re: 10-string troubles - I keep breaking my A string

Post by David Norton » Tue May 30, 2017 2:07 am

Run some fine grit sandpaper over the top of the saddle where the string crosses over. You may have a little lip, burr, or sharp edge there that is cutting into the windings. Don't sand down so much that you change the action, just enough to polish out any rough edge that might be there.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Tue May 30, 2017 2:20 am

Are those by chance Hannabach basses? I had issues with the 5th string a couple times and quit using them. I love their 815 trebles, but prefer D'Addario basses.

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:56 am

D'Addario basses. I too think they sound great.

In my mind I was thinking it had something to do with the length of the head stock on the 10-string vs. a 6-string. Couldn't see how that would be causing the problem but that's really the only difference between guitars. Hadn't thought of the saddle will try a little sanding there thanks!

attila57

Post by attila57 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:11 pm

tkoehler1 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 12:14 am
So I was sitting outside today minding my own business when BOING!!!! my A string breaks on my 10 string. This is the 3rd time in 5 months!!!

So am I doing something wrong? Is a 10 string that much different from a 6 string? Oddly the stings keep breaking at the bridge, not the head stock. Am I just cursed? :?:
I agree with David Norton. Probably there's a sharp edge on top of the saddle. Examine it with a magnifying glass, and if it's too sharp, round it off a little(!!!) with fine sanding paper. Alternatively, there might be a problem with how you tie the strings to the tieing block. Maybe the stretch of string that is over the top of the block exerts too much force on the point where it loops under the tight string. In this case, relax the loop a little so that the breaking point can lower towards the bridge. In any case, the problem is that the winding on the string changes direction too suddenly. It then opens up exposing the nylon filaments inside. The rest is just a question of time.

Attila
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:46 pm

attila57 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:11 pm
In any case, the problem is that the winding on the string changes direction too suddenly. It then opens up exposing the nylon filaments inside.
Thanks Atilla that's a really good tip I'll check it out.

attila57

Post by attila57 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:52 pm

tkoehler1 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:46 pm
attila57 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:11 pm
In any case, the problem is that the winding on the string changes direction too suddenly. It then opens up exposing the nylon filaments inside.
Thanks Atilla that's a really good tip I'll check it out.
Hi tkoehler,

The sharp edge can be the front or back edge of the hole in the tieing block, too, or it can even be
inside the tieing block e.g. in the form of a metal positioning pin left in the wood.

Attila
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”