7-String Luthiers Recommendation

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
DavisComposer85

7-String Luthiers Recommendation

Post by DavisComposer85 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi everyone, I'm thinking to get 7-string Classical guitar someday.

Any great luthiers recommendation? I'm always prefer the guitar has dark and warm tone.

I heard good things about Michael Greenfield, has anyone ordered his custom made guitar?

hatalap

Re: 7-String Luthiers Recommendation

Post by hatalap » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:53 am

I think that Andy Culpepper has built 7-strings before. You might send him a PM. I highly recommend his guitars.

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 am

A 7-string guitar isn't really significantly different to a 6-string from a maker's point of view, so any luthier able to make a good 6-string will be able to make a good 7-string for you.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:59 pm

like James says not a mush of a difference in a building

dark and warm tone you can use red cedar for top i believe
I'm a Luthier living in Bury st Edmunds UK

dtrap

Post by dtrap » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:00 am

I've been building multi string guitars sine the late 1970's.
I've made many 7 and 8 strings along with one 12 string single course. Basically a Baroque lute with a guitar body.
Dake Traphagen

Martin Bickerton

Post by Martin Bickerton » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi Davis,
Similar to James' comment, Stephen Hill (the maker of my 7 string guitar) mentioned that there wasn't a lot of need for extra support in the neck or on the bridge.
The more strings the better!
What sort of rep are you looking to play on your 7 string?
Martin

hrievers

Post by hrievers » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:40 pm

James Lister wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 am
A 7-string guitar isn't really significantly different to a 6-string from a maker's point of view, so any luthier able to make a good 6-string will be able to make a good 7-string for you.

James
I have to disagree with that. I don't think any luthier can make a good 7 or multi string guitar. Like some builders make better cedar guitars, some make better 6 strings than 7.

There are two Brazilian builders that I would definitely recommend checking out when it comes to 7 string guitars. João Scremin (https://www.facebook.com/joaoscreminluthier/) and Samuel Carvalho (http://samuelcarvalho.com/)
Henrique Rievers

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:08 pm

hrievers wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:40 pm

I have to disagree with that. I don't think any luthier can make a good 7 or multi string guitar.
OK - I respect your right to your opinion, but perhaps you could explain why you believe a luthier who makes good 6-string guitars cannot necessarily make good 7-string guitars?

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:36 pm

I've made a couple of 7 string guitars. OK they were Stauffer/Lacote romantic style, so what?. It's just another string! Wish people would stop trying to turn this into an attempt to reach Pluto.
Historicalguitars.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:43 pm

May I suggest a 10-string guitar. Technically it's a 7 string guitar. I build a 10-string and went on to build a 14-string and now I am building a 13-string becsuse I find that reaching the 14-string is a little uncomfortable for me.

In terms of the constriction for the top sides and back, my 10-sttings, 14-string and my 13-strings(WIP) are very similar. Both turns out very beautifully both acoustically and physically without any technical issues. With the little limited experience, I can comfortably says no problem at all for any luthier to build a 7-string guitar to fit you..
Last edited by HNLim on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hrievers

Post by hrievers » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:04 pm

James Lister wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:08 pm
hrievers wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:40 pm

I have to disagree with that. I don't think any luthier can make a good 7 or multi string guitar.
OK - I respect your right to your opinion, but perhaps you could explain why you believe a luthier who makes good 6-string guitars cannot necessarily make good 7-string guitars?

James
Hello James! Perhaps I expressed myself poorly. I'll try again. I think that every builder has their own strong or weak points. Which means that someone that makes an amazing cedar guitar, does not necessarily makes an amazing spruce guitar. Spruce is different than cedar, they require different approaches when it comes to construction and sound different. The same goes for 6, 7, 8, etc string guitars. Maybe a builder makes an AMAZING 6 string guitar but not a great 7 string. Or the other way around.

Scremin, for example, is one of the builders I've mentioned. I've played on several of his 7 strings guitars. I loved most of them. But I was disappointed when I played one of his 6 strings.

To summarize, different luthiers have different strengths.
Henrique Rievers

UPGuitar

Post by UPGuitar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Steve Ganz has built quite a few multi-string instruments.
or if you prefer not to commission a guitar....Bartolex make some very nice guitars for a great price.
-Masaki Sakurai concert sp/in
-Yamaha gc31c cd/in
-F.Sheppard French Romantic era replica sp/mpl
-S.Ganz "SunDog" sp/in
-S.Ganz "Brujo" 8-string sp/brz
-J.Sigurdson peghead flamenco sp/ayc
-S.Castillo peghead flamenco sp/cy

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”