10 string classic guitar string spacing at nut.

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
Humphrey
Amateur luthier

10 string classic guitar string spacing at nut.

Post by Humphrey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Hi ,

I have a question ( I'm amateur builder) about the spacing of the strings at the nut and the bridge of a 10 string classic guitar.

The spacing at the nut for all the strings is 8,5 mm (drawing) but the diameter of the A (10,th string barok tuning) is much
bigger then the first string E.

How to devide de space between the strings correctly at the nut and the bridge ?

Can someone help me out please?

Cheers ,

Humphrey

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Re: 10 string classic guitar string spacing at nut.

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:50 pm

So I think you are asking whether to use center to center spacing, or between string spacing.
Is that what you are asking?
If so, I suggest you make two nuts, one with each spacing scheme.
Then let the player decide which works better.
Steve

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:21 pm

I use 9.0mm spacing center to center at the nut with 5 mm margin from the 1st string to the edge of the fingerboard. At the tie-block, I use 1.1 mm and it works wonderfully for my 10-string. At this spacing, you get a spacing of 10.0mm at the 12th fret. It is also much easier when you trying to mark out shape of your fingerboard.

Humphrey
Amateur luthier

Post by Humphrey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:13 am

Thanks for responding,
Yes your being right I mean the center to center spacing is 8,5mm, 10 st the A is 0.63 inch in diameter (barok tuning) and the 1st string e is 0.026 inch and the nut length is 85,6 mm.

I want to achieve 5 mm margin at the 10 fret because slipping of from the fretboard, and should I make the nut larger because of the spacing of the bass strings D,C,B,A ?

To mark out shape of the fingerboard is a good idee too, my goal is to get the spacing between center of DCBA strings not equal but depending of the diameter of these strings...

Ricardo Barros
Amateur luthier

Post by Ricardo Barros » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi Humphrey,

The top strings are rarely , if ever, fretted with the left hand, specially the top 2 ou 3. This way, you don,t to worry much about the string spacing on the nut side . And since the top string is not fretted, there is no problem of string slipping over the fretboard. You dont need 5mm of fretboard over the string. As a matter of fact, you don’t even need a feetboard under the string... you can build a slimmer fretboard for 8 string (much more elegant in my opinion) and float the additional 2 strings
Sergio Abreu 2012 (sp/ir)
Ricardo Barros 2013 (cd/ir)

Ricardo Barros
Amateur luthier

Post by Ricardo Barros » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:42 pm

You can see how I did on my 13 string guitar on this link.

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=107797&sid=c797f3 ... 0b7350a9c5

Ricardo

Humphrey
Amateur luthier

Post by Humphrey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for your input, I did download your pictures ( I hope you have no problem with it) from the construction proces of the 13 string Dresden guitar because the 13 string wil be my next project. I have done research on the internet about construction of it( plans etc.) but could not found them.
Maybe you can give me a direction where to search on the internet.

Did you make the technical plans by your self?

I have seen Anders Miolin guitar, but because its my first 10 string guitar ( my first build guitar was a barok guitar and the Kasha guitar) I did make a copy of the 10 string of a Ramirez 10 string.

You did a very great job, are you satisfied by the sound it produce?

Ricardo Barros
Amateur luthier

Post by Ricardo Barros » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi Humphrey !

You can use my pictures, of course, and if you need I can try to help. I didn't find any plans on the internet for my 13 string guitar, so I made them myself. Wherever possible, the specifications are the same of my 6 string guitar. For the rest of the measures, I made the technical plans myself, and in the end everything worked out fine.

I am very happy with the sound, and the feedback I get from players is always very good ; the problem is that I don't know how to play it ! :)

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”