Ludwig Reisinger 15 string Schrammel Restoration...

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Ludwig Reisinger 15 string Schrammel Restoration...

Postby Scot Tremblay » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:21 pm

I don't often take on restoration work these days, mostly because I'm just too busy building, but every once in a while something interesting comes along that piques my interest. So....today a box arrived which I opened with the glee of a grade school boy opening an anticipated Christmas present. And it almost is Christmas so my reaction is quite appropriate...

Inside the box I find a Ludwig Reisinger 15 string (six regular + 9 basses) Schrammel guitar #1133 dated 1930. I'm very fond of Reisingers work and find it impossible to pass up an oportunity to run my hands over the same pieces of wood his did....and here it is, that sublime collection of wooden pieces...

Even on the more modestly priced offerings the Reisinger shop produced instruments which were superbly crafted from the finest materials, with stunning workmanship and the highest level of attention to detail. These guys were good and this instrument does not disappoint one in the least.

The Box...
The Box.jpg

Thinking and peeking inside the box...
Inside The Box.jpg

The top is a very fine piece of Spruce
The Whole Thing.jpg

The back is a one piece nicely flamed Maple slab (just under 43 cm/17 in.)
The Back.jpg

The finely made bridge with the luthiers dozen (15) peg holes
The body.jpg

And finally...both the necks heel and peghead for the bass strings are crafted from one single piece of maple. The only added piece are the figure eight head for the standard six strings, the small wedge which attaches it to the bass head and the elevated extension that the main fingerboard rests on as it flys over the soundboard...
The End.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

christine33

Re: Ludwig Reisinger 15 string Schrammel Restortion...

Postby christine33 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:36 am

Congratulations!!!
I'm very glad, that this guitar is in your skilled and loving hands :D

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:46 am

Hopefully you will show us what it looks like when you are done with it. I am not familiar with the name Reisinger but Schrammel guitars often turn up on the German version of the well know auction site. Prices vary from pretty cheap to ridiculous. I have often been tempted but I don't have the space.

Ceder151

Postby Ceder151 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Very nice. 1930, Reisinger had a long career. He opened shop in 1890 or so, correct?
2007 Geri Carletto
2012 Cordoba C7 cedar
2001 Lucida Artista Picado LG-797
2001 La Patrie Concert
1964 Goya G10
2003 Yamaha CG-101

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Postby Scot Tremblay » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:16 pm

Yes, he was born in 1863, apprenticed and worked with Ignatz Johann Bucher (himself an apprentice of J.G. Staufer) until 1887 when he opened up his own shop. I'm not exactly sure of the exact date of death but I believe sometime in 1943. He seems to have stopped building around 1939ish. Although there are instruments bearing his name dating to that time they were most likely built by his apprentice and business successor Josef Wesely.

Reisinger was well respected for his zithers, harp-guitars, "Legnani" model six strings and various others including the Wappen guitar (shield shaped guitars) and the lute-guitars popular around the turn of the century. Everything I have seen of his is of the best workmanship and made of very fine materials. Anyone looking for an original Late Romantic Viennese guitar I'd definitely say try to find one from the Reisinger shop.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

drew p

Postby drew p » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:43 am

What the f...

I want it :)

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Postby Scot Tremblay » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:04 am

Final update as this restoration is off to it's new home on the other side of the world tomorrow. I filled and/or glued shut about 6 feet worth of top cracks, one puncture to the side, stabilized a couple spots where the top was wearing thin from pinky placement and arm wear, refreshed the frets and reseated all the tuning pegs. Finally I cleaned the whole guitar and because the owner wants to preserve the "history" that the instrument shows, I didn't do much re-finishing, only touching up the spots where the original finish had worn off, with a couple coats of fresh shellac.

For the most part it is in pretty good condition considering the age and a rather colourful life and with the new set of Thomastik-Insfeld Schrammel Bass strings there are many more years of music to be had from this beauty.

It has been an interesting project where I renewed my admiration for the high level of skill displayed by the 19th century Viennese luthiers. I also made a detailed drawing of the guitar and may add this model to my ever expanding repertoire of Viennese Early Romantic Guitars.

IMGP5349.jpg
IMGP5346.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

colin north
Amateur luthier

Postby colin north » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:28 am

Wow, want one!
:chitarrista:
Antonio Sanchez 1015
2 x self build OM's, 1 Parlor.

drew p

Postby drew p » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:04 pm

very cool!

Ceder151

Postby Ceder151 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:24 pm

It looks very nice and I bet it sounds fantastic
2007 Geri Carletto
2012 Cordoba C7 cedar
2001 Lucida Artista Picado LG-797
2001 La Patrie Concert
1964 Goya G10
2003 Yamaha CG-101

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”