Solo 10-string performance today.

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
HNLim

Re: Solo 10-string performance today.

Postby HNLim » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:08 pm

wevard wrote:At some point I got curious as to how playing a 10-stringer would be, but I haven't made the effort to find one thinking it may be tough to adjust to the much broader neck and become stricter when it comes to muting strings, plus other changes in hand positions and further development of right-hand technique. You mentioned you've played partial programs with the 10-strings guitar, from which I assume you played the other part with a 6-strings one. Can you do this because you're a master of both instruments or is this switching not that as big an issue as I think?

It isn't easy. I am struggling with my 10-string.
1978 Yamaha GC30A - S/BRW
2012 Esteve Adalid - S/BRW
2014 Sen #5 - S/BRW
2016 HNLim - S/BRW-
1974 S.Yairi 950 S/BRW - converted to10-string-2015
HN Lim 14-string - S/BRW - Very close to completion.
1974 S.Yairi 800 : Retired

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:47 pm

HNLim wrote:
wevard wrote:At some point I got curious as to how playing a 10-stringer would be, but I haven't made the effort to find one thinking it may be tough to adjust to the much broader neck and become stricter when it comes to muting strings, plus other changes in hand positions and further development of right-hand technique. You mentioned you've played partial programs with the 10-strings guitar, from which I assume you played the other part with a 6-strings one. Can you do this because you're a master of both instruments or is this switching not that as big an issue as I think?

It isn't easy. I am struggling with my 10-string.

That wide neck can lead one to assume the left hand would struggle. But really (at least for me) it's the right hand that has to do the most adapting. For the most part your left hand gets used to feeling the neck as if it were a 6-string neck.

wevard

Postby wevard » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:15 pm

I'd guess the two biggest things that change in the right hand would be 1) the thumb can now pluck 4 more strings, opening the hand further while trying to maintain the tone on the trebles and 2) muting strings when sympathetic resonances must be avoided. I must confess that as an amateur who sometimes plays for non-musically-trained audiences, I tend to be a let-them-ring kind of person. I'll keep my eyes open in case I ever come across one of these guitars. I'm sure it'd be fun to experience what Mr. Yepes wanted us all to try (my curiosity started after watching some of his videos and then reading a bit on the whole point of the 10-strings guitar with the carefully selected tuning scheme he devised).

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”