ibanez 8 String Classical

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
RobMacKillop

Re: ibanez 8 String Classical

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:48 pm

That was quick! I've read a couple of reviews saying the stock strings are poor, but you should be able to change that easily enough. How exciting!

2handband

Post by 2handband » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:51 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:That was quick! I've read a couple of reviews saying the stock strings are poor, but you should be able to change that easily enough. How exciting!
Amazing how these things work, isn't it? I read this thread this morning, check online to see what they're going for used just for the hell of it, and find one for cheap not ten miles from my house. I had no plans to buy a guitar today, but here it sits. And yes, the strings that are on it suck.

es335

Post by es335 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:26 pm

La Bella offers an eight string sets based on their Professional 10PH strings which is BTW comparatively cheap! :D

Another alternative would be to use two of the "famous" Aranjuez 7th strings from their ten string extension set. It's brass wound and therebye easy to distiguish from the regular top set. They are very flexible and work very well from D down to A.

Just out of curiosity I used four of them for the diatonic tuned sub-basses of my former 10-string and this was by no means a bad solution! :wink:

2handband

Post by 2handband » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:25 pm

I've probably spent two hours with it this afternoon. I think in terms of sound it has some bang for the buck; it's as good as anything else i've tried in this price category. So far i've mostly treated it as a six string guitar, playing stuff I know. I'm adjusting faster than I thought I would. I did start creating a catalog of extended chords with the lower strings in a couple of different tunings, and I also briefly put it in a lute tuning and made my first attempt at reading Downland from the original tab. I also started a chord/scale library in said tuning.

Aside from all that i ordered a Labella 8 string set. My plan is to spend two or three weeks getting used to it, and then I'll post a video of me playing it. A few people here have asked to hear me play anyway, so this seems opportune.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:12 pm

That's great. Looking forward to the video.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:04 am

You might want to custom order the lowest bass strings...yeah 300 bucks is a good price, have fun. Drink a cold one and re-string it.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:01 pm

So far the guitar is a lot of fun, although I am still waiting for the new strings to arrive in the mail. I'm going to post a video when I have accomplished three things:

1) Master Giuliani op 107. 90% of my practice time is being devoted to this.

2) Learn at least one Dowland lute piece in original tuning. I would welcome any suggestions for a relatively easy one that makes good use of the lower courses.

3) Prepare a few of my favorite popular songs (and maybe one of two of my own) using lute tuning and all 8 strings.

2-4 weeks I would estimate. The Giuliani is coming along nicely but it's not exactly a trivial bit of music.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:13 pm

I can't think off hand what that Dowland piece would be. Most of his pieces are for 6 or 7. Here's what 8-course/string pieces I can find:

The Right Honourable The Lord Viscount Lisle, His Galliard
The Right Honourable The Lady Rich, Her Galliard
The Right Honourable Ferdinando Earl of Derby, His Galliard

Just three pieces. But there are dozens for 7 strings.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:14 pm

...and I wouldn't call any of them easy.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:18 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:I can't think off hand what that Dowland piece would be. Most of his pieces are for 6 or 7. Here's what 8-course/string pieces I can find:

The Right Honourable The Lord Viscount Lisle, His Galliard
The Right Honourable The Lady Rich, Her Galliard
The Right Honourable Ferdinando Earl of Derby, His Galliard

Just three pieces. But there are dozens for 7 strings.
What can you think of for 7 strings then?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:39 pm

All the Fantasie pieces are for 7, though I wouldn't class them as easy. The Frog Galliard is for seven. Queen Elizabeth Galliard. Can She Excuse. Mrs White's Thing. Mrs White's Nothing. Mrs Winter's Jump. The Shoemaker's Wife. Tarleton's Riserrectione. These are all great pieces, fun to play, and all for seven. You could always drop a bass note to the eighth string, as that kind of thing was done. In that case you could add Lachrimae Pavan.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:32 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:All the Fantasie pieces are for 7, though I wouldn't class them as easy. The Frog Galliard is for seven. Queen Elizabeth Galliard. Can She Excuse. Mrs White's Thing. Mrs White's Nothing. Mrs Winter's Jump. The Shoemaker's Wife. Tarleton's Riserrectione. These are all great pieces, fun to play, and all for seven. You could always drop a bass note to the eighth string, as that kind of thing was done. In that case you could add Lachrimae Pavan.
Thanks Rob! I think for sure I'll do Mrs Winters; I already know it from Noads arrangement and will just return to source. Out of the others what do you think is easiest? It'd be cool to have two.

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:40 am

I've only played one Ibanez classical guitar. It belongs to a student of mine. I recommended strongly a Miguel Rodriguez, in his price range. but the Ibanez had electronics so that's what he got. The neck is far from straight, and it buzzes badly. It's ugly in every way. It is unreservedly the worst classical guitar I can ever remember playing.
That being said,I owned one of their art core jazz guitars, and loved it. I have seen some great, inexpensive Ibanez guitars, but I would not gamble much on one of their classical sight unseen.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

2handband

Post by 2handband » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:45 am

Bill B wrote:I've only played one Ibanez classical guitar. It belongs to a student of mine. I recommended strongly a Miguel Rodriguez, in his price range. but the Ibanez had electronics so that's what he got. The neck is far from straight, and it buzzes badly. It's ugly in every way. It is unreservedly the worst classical guitar I can ever remember playing.
That being said,I owned one of their art core jazz guitars, and loved it. I have seen some great, inexpensive Ibanez guitars, but I would not gamble much on one of their classical sight unseen.
I wouldn't have either. But this one I have is a million miles from what you are describing. I'm actually very impressed, especially for the money.

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:46 am

Sorry , I read the first page and posted before I read the next page. I'm very glad it's working out.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”