ibanez 8 String Classical

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
bsteffen

Re: ibanez 8 String Classical

Post by bsteffen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:02 am

i"m happy to hear you found one for a great price. I think i may still invest in one my self. Even if the quality is less the the best it would be really fun to have two extra strings to play around with. And truly figure out if i want to fork out the thousands for a real quality hand make eight string guitar. I am looking forward to hearing yours! What tuning are you planning on?

2handband

Post by 2handband » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:16 am

bsteffen wrote:i"m happy to hear you found one for a great price. I think i may still invest in one my self. Even if the quality is less the the best it would be really fun to have two extra strings to play around with. And truly figure out if i want to fork out the thousands for a real quality hand make eight string guitar. I am looking forward to hearing yours! What tuning are you planning on?
Even for the $650 it seems to generally go for I think it's a good deal. It's surprisingly good.

I'm using a few different tunings. For traditional 6 string repertoire I'm doing B D E A D G B E. I hardly touch the 8th string on this stuff but I find I'll slip in the low D here and there even when it's not written. I'm also experimenting with 8 course lute tuning by dropping the 3rd string to F#. I'll probably also play around with adjusting the bottom two strings to suit the key I'm in.

bsteffen

Post by bsteffen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:38 am

So, back to one of my original questions does it have a truss rod? One complaint if read about it is how frequently it buzz's, have you noticed much?

bsteffen

Post by bsteffen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:49 am

I like that idea with the tuning. I've also been thinking of tuning the 8th to A. But after I really get used to it i'd like like to go D F G C F A D G. I'm pretty sure that is the original tenor lute tuning. Although that will take some serious getting used to.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:38 am

I'd go for Tarleton's Riserrectione...

bsteffen

Post by bsteffen » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:53 am

RobMacKillop wrote:I can't think off hand what that Dowland piece would be. Most of his pieces are for 6 or 7. Here's what 8-course/string pieces I can find:

The Right Honourable The Lord Viscount Lisle, His Galliard
The Right Honourable The Lady Rich, Her Galliard
The Right Honourable Ferdinando Earl of Derby, His Galliard

Just three pieces. But there are dozens for 7 strings.

What is your source for finding sheet for these pieces? I've looked all over I can't find anything.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:28 am

The Collected Lute Music of John Dowland, lute tablature and keyboard notation, edited by Diana Poulton and Basil Lam, Faber Music Ltd.

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:33 am

Any piece with D scordatura of the E string can be used to become familiar with 7 string guitar playing.

In some old music transcriptions you will occasionally find an "8" suffix below a note, similar to the one usually found below the clef. This indicates that the note may be played one octave lower in case of additional bass strings. So there is plenty of stuff to get familiar with the two more basses! :wink:

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:10 am

So, after three weeks or so, how's it working out for you?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:24 pm

I got an 8-string Ibanez classical delivered half an hour ago. I'm VERY impressed. I got a blemished one from a German warehouse at a lower price. The blem is nothing. Either full price or lower this guitar is excellent. I played quite a bit of my lute repertoire, even going into harp-sharp tuning (c sharp and a for the first two strings, f sharp for the third) without any trouble, and played some French baroque music.

I know it has only been half an hour, but so far I highly recommend this model for anyone wanting to dip their toe into extended bass-range guitars. And there's a hard case included in the price.

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Dear Rob MacKillop,

I found myself returning again and again to your latest video of scottish music played on the Ibanez 8 strings. Well, your musicality is gorgeous as usual and I'm still very impressed by the sweet yet powerful sound you achieve. I'm seriously considering purchasing the 8 strings Ibanez which seems to be an incredible instrument for a modest price. My concern, and my question, is the tuning of the additionnal strings, given the fact I'm searching a way to play the music of Sylvius Weiss with more accuracy, and more ease than on a six strings, which demands sometimes akward fingerings and octaviations of basses that are not always satisfactory.
Do you think this 8-strings guitar can make things more easy and natural regarding Weiss' music and, more generally, baroque lute music?
Your feedback on that point will be strongly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Regards,

GT

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi Giles,

My intention was to have fun experimenting with different tunings, and I still intend to do that. Another guitar distracted me (see the Ambridge cypress thread) and I haven't touched it since shortly after making that video of Scottish lute music. But I will definitely get back into it soon.

One of the tunings I will attempt will be dm tuning, but down a semitone - c#m tuning. From treble to bass this will be e, c#, g#, e, c#, g#, d#, b. That looks a bit of a nightmare, but it's just fdafdaec down a semitone. I'm hoping that will allow me to read baroque lute tab, and make adjustments for the bass notes. Hopefully most of them will be available to finger with my left hand, but I expect some will have to go up an octave. I'm looking forward to hearing the sound of the open-string chord.

I used to play some Weiss on both an 11-course and a 13-course lute, and it is a lot easier for the left hand than playing guitar transcriptions in regular guitar tuning. Weiss used the tuning really efficiently and effectively, so I hope to get some of that on the guitar.

Where will I get strings for this tuning? Well, someone once kindly sent me a set of Hannabach strings for alto guitar pitched at f# on the first string. So, I'm taking some of those strings, and some from a regular set. Well, it should work. I'll let you know.

One of the reasons I want to try and preserve baroque lute tuning, is that I have a big pile of baroque lute tab. You don't say if you can read tab or not, but I encourage you to try, as there is a good-sized mountain of the stuff, much of it legally free online.

I also want to try theorbo tuning. I have a feeling Robert de Visee's theorbo music might turn out quite nicely in eight strings. That remains to be seen.

If your intention is to keep regular guitar tuning plus two bass notes, I think you will have a hard time playing Weiss with any baroque flavour. So I recommend getting the guitar before they discontinue it, buy the strings you need, and learn to read French tablature - it's easy to do so, you could do it in half an hour - then there is a huge repertoire for you to call on.

I'll try to get back to it this week.

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:47 pm

Dear Rob,

Thank you so much for your kind and extensive answer.
Of course I can read french tablature — took me quite a long time to get used to the idea but, once I decided to do so, it was really as quick as you say, and I think every guitar player should make the little effort it takes to have full access to three centuries of music !
Your advice about searching a tuning that can match the baroque lute sounds clear and logical; althought I expected something that could be a "best of bost world" solution, i.e. an easy way to adapt baroque music to standard guitar tuning (plus basses), but I guess there's not much to expect from this.
By the way, do you have any advice or opinion about the so-called "Abt-tuning", which is, from low to high : E-A-D-F#-B-D ? This tuning was already used, to great effect, by Miguel Abloniz in a very good transcription of a famous Weiss Sonata. Walter Abt published a quite convincing colletion of baroque pieces in that tuning. It sounds cool, especially for "acciacaturas" or minor 2nd in the melody, but sounds somewhat a little "dull" to my ears.
But this can be another good way to get close to that special sound made of two minor triads in the open strings.
Thanks again for your interest, all the best.
Gilles

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:57 pm

I've never encountered that tuning. Most tunings make some things easier, and some things more difficult. We always have to compromise. Having played Weiss on a lute, I can't imagine I will ever want to play it on a six-string guitar in any tuning. But I often change my mind, so you never know!

I'm pleased you can read lute tab, so I suggest you get the eight string and use it as a dedicated baroque lute/guitar. That open Dm (or C#m) chord is so crucial to the sound of Weiss's music. The guitar really is very good for the price.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:21 pm

Well, I took some time this evening to tune my guitar into C#m tuning, as mentioned above, and tried reading through a few baroque tabs, French lute music, and some Weiss.

I had quite a problem finding the right bass notes. It wasn't the success I hoped it would be. Much of the French stuff is set low on the instrument, and I spent much of the time on the squeaky bass strings. Weiss fared better, as he isn't as grumbly as the French, but some passages proved very awkward. I haven't given up yet, and will try again tomorrow.

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”