10-string - damping strings not being used

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
soltirefa

10-string - damping strings not being used

Postby soltirefa » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:07 pm

I made this video to show some damps I made out of grout sponge.

While having added sympathetic resonances can sound desirable, as with the Yepes tuning, I find that I actually prefer NOT to have too many extra resonances. I prefer the purity of fewer. Also, this 10-string tuning I use now fits pieces I play really well and affords me quite a variety of tuning options.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's what I do.

https://youtu.be/HXsSno6exk8

tkoehler1

Re: 10-string - damping strings not being used

Postby tkoehler1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi, I went to look at your video, but it's not available any more. It's been a while since your post. I'd like to see your invention if you care to post it again.

Thanks,

TK

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:03 pm

tkoehler1 wrote:Hi, I went to look at your video, but it's not available any more. It's been a while since your post. I'd like to see your invention if you care to post it again.

Thanks,

TK

Huh, I must have deleted it since nobody showed interest. I re-uploaded it and here's the link

It's not rocket science. I just use a piece of grout sponge, which is very soft, and insert it to damp the strings I am not using on a particular piece I'm playing. Sometimes sympathetic resonances work, sometimes they sound crappy. This gives you the choice to let them ring or not. With this method you can turn your 10-string into a 6-string. I am not using this tuning now, but it's 10= f, 9=low B, 8= low A, and 7= low C. If, for example, you're playing a piece that only uses one of the extra four strings, you can damp the three you're not using ... or two or one, whatever it may be.

https://youtu.be/UgKlV8HNXu8

attila57

Postby attila57 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:18 pm

In my experience damping becomes an issue only if you use low basses like B or A, and especially if you use diatonic low basses. The A string can be really annoying, because lots of harmonics tend to appear on it.
That's why I prefer to stay above C, even with 10 strings. I don't like the deep basses anyway, because in my opinion it is impossible to get a decent low note with 650 mm string length.
My basses start with C or D, and so I have much less to worry about.
Attila :bye:
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:41 pm

attila57 wrote:In my experience damping becomes an issue only if you use low basses like B or A, and especially if you use diatonic low basses. The A string can be really annoying, because lots of harmonics tend to appear on it.
That's why I prefer to stay above C, even with 10 strings. I don't like the deep basses anyway, because in my opinion it is impossible to get a decent low note with 650 mm string length.
My basses start with C or D, and so I have much less to worry about.

I tend to agree with what you say. Nowadays I have my 10-string tuned like the Romantic tuning except up a whole step, as if putting a capo on the 2nd fret. Also, I play mostly pieces in B major and that makes the 10th string, normally A#, now B# (C). This tuning sounds really good. It's not too low and I don't repeat the basses like A or D (now they're A# and D#) ... well actually up a whole step they're B# and E#.

Anyway, I think you're right. Those really low basses make the guitar sound too muddy.

attila57

Postby attila57 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:25 pm

soltirefa wrote: Nowadays I have my 10-string tuned like the Romantic tuning except up a whole step, as if putting a capo on the 2nd fret. Those really low basses make the guitar sound too muddy.

It might be interesting to you that I've done some experiments with scordatura tunings a half step up, too, to achieve better string tensions and overall resonance.

I usually play baroque pieces on my 10-string guitar, and use my own kind of baroque tuning.

I suppose the basses wouldn't be muddy with a baroque bass lute...

Happy Christmas, happy playing and experimenting,

Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

tkoehler1

Postby tkoehler1 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:15 am

I think that's a great low tech solution - nice!

Lockie

Postby Lockie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi

Try Yepes tuning and you may find it the resonance is more sympathetic Please excuse the pun.

Lockie (a lover of guitars outside the norm)

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”