Pimp My Eight String

Discussion of all aspects of multi-string guitars, namely those with 7 or more strings.
SeanWinkler

Re: Pimp My Eight String

Post by SeanWinkler » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:02 pm

There is a set of Rubner 8-string machines on the popular auction site right now, but they aren't cheap relative to the cost of the guitar. There is also a Taiwanese seller who carries a variety of sets, including 8-string. I had purchased a set of 7-string machines for the Giannini I had, but it sold before they arrived. Now that I have them, I can say they are an improvement over the typical budget set that holds the worm gear in bent hooks off the base plate. These have a full support with a hole for the end of the worm gear shaft, and some kind of plastic washer to reduce friction. For US$30 shipped, not a bad option depending on what the guitar came with.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Cheers, Sean. The stock ones are not bad, so I would only upgrade if I felt it was really worth it.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:42 pm

I would make sure the saddle is bone and leave the rest alone, unless the tuners aren't good. The saddle will likely give you a little improvement over the plastic, which it most likely comes with(although I'm not sure). The guitar from your video sounds quite nice! I was thinking of getting one myself now! hahaha.. I used to have a 10 string, but never really mastered it. I think 7 or 8 strings might do me better than 10 did.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:16 pm

It is easy Mr. Trembly...it just takes lot's of elbow grease...But I'm not so sure the results would be anything more than cosmetic...still he did use the word pimp which in modern slang lexicon means to over embellish aesthetic importance over any practical function.

There seems to be quite a lot of french polish folklore as if it's a long lost art and hard to do...all it takes is patience. Maestro rob could use the finest abrasive sandpapers and very lightly remove the finish, and remove a minimal amount of wood. Remember this is a factory built guitar which is more than likely more robust than a hand crafted instrument. These guitars are in the big box music stores...so they can't have a wimpy build.

I am not fond of chinese guitars...but the manufactures specs say the saddle and nut are made of bone...which is a nice feature. I would not be surprised if the bone blanks are cnc machined,which is likely not a bad thing. Here's shellac finish I did on an ugly old Harmony Rocket...I left the f-holes red as a reminder of the vintage finish. The guitar was poorly setup...they drilled a gibson tune o-matic style bridge instead of using the original floating design. I'm happy the way the finish turned. I did learn the do's an do not of shellac finish.

I'm still gonna play devils advocate and say Rob should go with the dark amber shellac on the top...heheheh. I mean shellac flakes and a bottle of booze is less expensive than boutique tuners...plus he says the stock tuners function fine :) If the links work, that is my first time french polishing and I thought I did well. The guitar was a cheapo experiment. Perhaps the most difficult part of shellac is to maintain the pad...making sure not to have wrinkles or the finish tears. I followed the techniques shown on video which Richard Howell made for youtube. He's a pretty sharp dude.

http://postimg.org/image/q1l8vj717/

http://postimg.org/image/it1ixkxef/

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:40 pm

I love the way you are lecturing Scot Tremblay, one of the best luthiers in the world :-) Stay calm, Scot :-)

Messy - thanks for your thoughts. There's no way I'll be doing that, but it's a nice thought.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:19 am

One begins to ramble when one drinks coffee and doesn't sleep...

I've come to the conclusion that the only way to pimp the guitar is to play it like you own it and enjoy it...Some luthiers may scoff at cheap import 8 string guitar...but it's great you are enjoy it for what is. Also we should be happy it might bring old music styles back to life despite being an unorthodox cutaway.

I really admire the work of Scot and have been inspired to build a small guitar style for my first build...With any luck it will be built next year...Of course it will be crude in comparison to a Tremblay...but my shellac polish will be nice...nicer than the old harmony was. The photos were done on a low res ipad...believe it or not the old guitar shined so well I sold it for a small profit. hehehe

Will you be trying nylgut trebles?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:45 am

Sure, though they've gone down in my estimation since they started making them ultra smooth in texture. The older ones used to be slightly rough, which is great for flesh contact - OK, not so great for nail players, but who plays classical guitar with nails?! :D

I will also try Savarez White Card for the same reason - a slightly rough texture.

I'll also try theorbo tuning, with the first two strings down an octave, and Dm tuning. A lot of exploring and experimenting lies ahead.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:17 am

I love the rolling effect theorbo tuning gives. I saw Linda Sayce playing one at a church nearby and it sounded wonderful. Post a video if it works on the 8!
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:53 am

I will. I played the theorbo before. De Visee wrote some wonderful repertoire for it, though I don't know if it will fit on 8 strings. Of course, his solos were for the smaller French theorbo, not the massive Italian one. So, the guitar is closer to the French theorbo than the Italian.

Return to “Multi-string Classical Guitars”