flamenco scores

Somewhere for members interested in Flamenco to exchange related knowledge and techniques. Please do not give direct links to performances.
val-aki

flamenco scores

Post by val-aki » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:39 pm

I never played flamenco music yet, but now I want to get acquainted with this style. Can anybody give an advise which scores or composers pieces are useful to play at the beginning?

otirroz

Re: flamenco scores

Post by otirroz » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:33 pm

Hello val-aki,

I personally have found Juan Martin's Guitar Method: El Arte Flamenco De La Guitarra very useful for beginners. It includes pieces to learn as well as technique exercises. He emphasizes the pieces. His other books are more advanced and assume you already know the basic techniques, so keep that in mind.

Hope this helps,

P de V

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:49 pm

Flamenco Solos For Guitar by Sophocles Papas, published by Columbia Music Company.

val-aki

Post by val-aki » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:36 pm

Many thanks for the answers, I will check them.

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:03 pm

Late response, but anyway, Solos Flamencos - 42 Solos Progressively Graded for Absolute Beginner to Intermediate and More Advanced by Juan Martin (2001, sold by Mel Bay in the US) might be helpful. Both notation and TAB. It also has CD included.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:35 am

Also Adam del Monte online lessons (not interactive) are very instructive, especially the 'Beginners Package'. They go along with sheet music. You can watch them at any time of the day or night and as often as you want to.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:51 am

rojarosguitar wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:35 am
Also Adam del Monte online lessons (not interactive) are very instructive, especially the 'Beginners Package'. They go along with sheet music. You can watch them at any time of the day or night and as often as you want to.
I agree with the Adam del Monte recommendation. I'm currently working my way through both the beginner groups of lessons. Being able to proficiently play flamenco pieces means developing fundamental techniques that are quite different from classical training. Fundamentals first, then move on to pieces. I'm very pleased with the Adam del Monte lessons.

rayian

Post by rayian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:50 am

Scores and "pieces" seems like a strange concept when it comes to flamenco. I see it more like jamming to the rhythm, the compas. Rather than learning pieces we learn falsettas then we string them together to create our own pieces but we have to start with the rhythm of whichever palo we're playing.

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:00 pm

rayian wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:50 am
Scores and "pieces" seems like a strange concept when it comes to flamenco. I see it more like jamming to the rhythm, the compas. Rather than learning pieces we learn falsettas then we string them together to create our own pieces but we have to start with the rhythm of whichever palo we're playing.
Dido that. 8)
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Sorry. I meant Ditto, and not dido above.
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Disclaimer: If you require authenticity, skip this post.
However,for the not pure flamenco but useful introduction dept. try:
Vols. 1-3
Guitar Music of Spain
Ed. Zaradin
The series yields some playable "flamenco-sounding" repertoire that pleases listeners. Life is short and(if you get lucky) the gigs may be coming up faster than you have necessary hours to spend in the practice room.

rayian

Post by rayian » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:20 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 pm
Disclaimer: If you require authenticity, skip this post.
However,for the not pure flamenco but useful introduction dept. try:
Vols. 1-3
Guitar Music of Spain
Ed. Zaradin
The series yields some playable "flamenco-sounding" repertoire that pleases listeners. Life is short and(if you get lucky) the gigs may be coming up faster than you have necessary hours to spend in the practice room.
Fakemenco ☺

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi Val-aki, :bye:

Although people are responding now, I see that you posted this over two years ago. Did you continue in your quest to learn Flamenco?

If not, “Flamenco Guitar Basic Techniques” with CD by Juan Serrano is an excellent way to learn Flamenco. The book starts with many rasgueado, tremolo, legato and arpeggio exercises followed by 11 typical Flamenco pieces (Sevillanas, Farrucas, Soleares etc.). All the exercises and repertoire pieces are on the CD, so you can play along with Serrano. He explains the rasqueados technique very well. Spend time practicing these with the CD until you “get it”. The repertoire pieces are easy to read and memorize and sound more complicated than they really are.

Let us know how you are doing and if we can assist you.

Lorette :chitarrista:

Return to “Flamenco Corner”