Flamenco " -repertoire" -?

Somewhere for members interested in Flamenco to exchange related knowledge and techniques. Please do not give direct links to performances.
sbondy

Flamenco " -repertoire" -?

Post by sbondy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi All,

A student of mine has a vague notion of interest in flamenco music. I don't think he really digs flamenco as an art form, but rather loves the rasgueados and rhythmic intensity that he associates with the word. Honestly, I think much of what he considers to be 'flamenco' is really Rodrigo y Gabriella...

Do folks know of any 'classical' solo repertoire that uses some of those right hand techniques? Am I looking for actual flamenco transcriptions?

Any help you might give would be very welcome,

Thanks,
Steve

lagartija

Re: Flamenco " -repertoire" -?

Post by lagartija » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:29 pm

What level is the student playing at?
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Flamenco Guitar Basic Techniques by Juan Serrano has some very good sounding pieces that are easily read by students with good first position reading skills. The rasgueados are mostly brief and well notated rhythmically. He plays rasgueados in an odd way though - using "i" to begin the 16th note rasgueado figures instead of the more common use of chico for that (and of course there are other ways as well) - but that's easy to change with a few pencil marks.

sbondy

Post by sbondy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:36 pm

The student is 16 years old, and playing at an strong intermediate - late intermediate level. Cello suite prelude 1, Sounds of Bells...

I'll check out the Juan Serrano book. Thanks for the recommendation. Any others?

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:23 pm

I recommend the pieces by Bartolome Calatayud. They are "picture postcard Spanish", semi-classical and semi-flamenco. For more complex stuff, the various guitar solos by Turina are a good option. So is "Danza Mora" by Tarrega.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

tocapuro

Post by tocapuro » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Dennis Koster's book "The Keys to Flamenco Guitar" is quite user-friendly and has exercises and short passages and
short solos. It combines technical studies with explanations of rhythm (compas), etc. I use it to teach my students and like it very much.

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:03 pm

Lawler wrote:Flamenco Guitar Basic Techniques by Juan Serrano has some very good sounding pieces that are easily read by students with good first position reading skills. The rasgueados are mostly brief and well notated rhythmically.
I Agree with Lawler. This is an excellent book to start with and it comes with a CD so you can hear what it is supposed to sound like. The solo pieces are not difficult musically and will make him sound quite advanced. It's a good place to start. I use all of Juan's solos in my flamenco repertoire along with my own.

Lorette :chitarrista:

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi Steve..after many years playing flamenco I am having a lot of fun arranging Manuel de Falla pieces for solo guitar...your student may be interested to try
this , as he can use flamenco techniques to enhance La Vida Breve,La Molinera etc,cheers,Charles.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:08 am

The Paco Pena book Toques Flamencos is good for the intermediate + level. It's not a beginner book but material he chose from the student repertoire. Good pieces even for performance. I also liked the Mario Escudero books because he leaned more towards a classical inspired technique, at least it seemed to me, and not too difficult for the most part. Both these guys material can be found on Fleabay
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Sat May 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Get him to check out www.foroflamenco.com

A friendly forum with mature posters just like this one.

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Sun May 28, 2017 11:05 am

Probably the leading transcriber of flamenco music is Alain Faucher. If you are ready for more advanced stuff, Gooogle his name (or Affedis) which is the name of his website. You will find solo transcirptions (and books) available there from all of the biggies including Vicente Amigo, Sabicas, Paco de Lucia, Moraito, and many others. 8)
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

Dominique

Post by Dominique » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:13 am

Lawler wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:51 pm
Flamenco Guitar Basic Techniques by Juan Serrano
He plays rasgueados in an odd way though - using "i" to begin the 16th note rasgueado figures instead of the more common use of chico for that (and of course there are other ways as well) - but that's easy to change with a few pencil marks.
That's a great book. It is a first time I see a guitar method that is not boring from the beginning to the end. Even when doing scale exercises, he show us scales which make sense and are good sounding.

For the rasgueados, I think the best is to practice them with different fingerings. Later, when they become automatic, we can choose the one that fit best the music we are playing.

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:49 am

Might have the student look at some of the lengthier Juan Parga pieces.
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

Return to “Flamenco Corner”