Flamenco Guitar Method Book ?

Somewhere for members interested in Flamenco to exchange related knowledge and techniques. Please do not give direct links to performances.
MarkInLA

Flamenco Guitar Method Book ?

Post by MarkInLA » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi all. I fully realize flamenco is not classical guitar and so apologize if this doesn't belong in this forum. I do play quite a lot of classical but bought a $350.00 Yamaha flamenco due to its brighter tone better for my hearing loss (due to 35 years of bass playing). But since I do have this guitar I'd like to get into some flamenco music. What might be the best method book for this ? I have a Montoya collection of about 6 or 7 pieces. But it's not a method book. Any dib's ? Thanks, Mark

randalljazz

Re: Flamenco Guitar Method Book ?

Post by randalljazz » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:58 pm

go to chuck keyser's website. a wealth of information and instruction, and he is now giving it all for free.

graf-martinez looks pretty good.

ruben diaz site has lots of free stuff.
Last edited by randalljazz on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

StevSmar

Post by StevSmar » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Maybe Flamenco would be an ideal style to learn using the video guitar lessons (for example JamPlay.com)?

I've got a couple of Flamenco books and I think that I would have been better off with video lessons rather than the books.
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:35 pm

StevSmar wrote:Maybe Flamenco would be an ideal style to learn using the video guitar lessons (for example JamPlay.com)?

I've got a couple of Flamenco books and I think that I would have been better off with video lessons rather than the books.
I can only second that. Maybe later, when you are already into it, books are OK, but for the beginning a teacher would be best and a good video lesson second best.

I enjoy to learn from the online lessons with Adam del Monte.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:44 pm

foroflamenco.com

viewtopic.php?t=61549
viewtopic.php?t=54849
viewtopic.php?t=60495

You can also download Metodo de Guitarra Flamenco by Rafael Marin. Being published in 1902, it is in public domain.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:07 pm

Vlad Kosulin wrote:foroflamenco.com

You can also download Metodo de Guitarra Flamenco by Rafael Marin. Being published in 1902, it is in public domain.
Vlad, any link?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:02 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Vlad Kosulin wrote:foroflamenco.com

Vlad, any link?
https://archive.org/details/MetodoDeGui ... afaelMarin

archive.org is one of greatest resources of free stuff, IMHO.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks Vlad ...

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:25 am

Much thanks for the wealth of info from all. Will search them out. Mark

wedge

Post by wedge » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:27 am

I have Juan Martin's books and really like them - they go from simple to complex. His stuff has more of the Moorish/Arabic sound which I like. Another good place to check is Dennis Koster. I have been addicted to flamenco for a couple years now - the "electric" guitar of the Torres family.

gauchita

Post by gauchita » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:06 pm

I would second the juan Martin's courses The book..El Arte Flamenco De La Guitarra is excellent , and will help any dedicated student

Return to “Flamenco Corner”