Flamenco rhythm and compas - How to get?

Somewhere for members interested in Flamenco to exchange related knowledge and techniques. Please do not give direct links to performances.
drinkdrunkdrank

Flamenco rhythm and compas - How to get?

Post by drinkdrunkdrank » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Hello. How can i get a flamenco compas on the guitar with self teaching? Ok i know play 2 flamenco bulerias songs on the guitar, but only by memory. I dont realy understand that 12 beats rhythm with accent on 3,6,8,10,12 beat. I have seen some videos, but i dont understand, how i can remember that rhythms and know i play correct by rhythm. I see some flamenco guitarists when they play or improvise in some flamenco palo without metronome, sometimes with hand clapping or with singer. How do they know they play correct in the rhythm? Thank you.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Flamenco rhythm and compas - How to get?

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:47 pm

I don't know much about it, but have done a flamenco workshop. Compás is essential in flamenco music. Students of flamenco guitar are taught compás for months before they are allowed to touch their guitar. Honestly, I don't think you can learn the complexity of flamenco (and its different forms) without a good teacher. And even then, it takes years, decades to become any good!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Andrew Barrett

Post by Andrew Barrett » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:48 pm

I would recommend the book "The Keys to Flamenco" by Dennis Koster to explore this more. The books deals with concepts such as compas. A disclaimer, I am by no means a flamenco expert, however I have been working through this book with my teachers who studied flamenco in Spain for several years, and much of its contents is right on with his teaching. Koster specifically states in the beginning of the book that he intends for it to fill the void of not having access to a teacher who thoroughly understands flamenco. That being said I would recommend seeking out a qualified teacher if it is possible, certain elements of flamenco music and flamenco technique are simply impossible to be communicated fully by a book. Best of luck in your pursuit of flamenco!

christine33

Post by christine33 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:05 pm

you'll need time, but it's not sooo hard.
Start with one specific palo. I would recommend soleá - the rhythmic pattern is easy to find in internet and if you have Paco Peñas "toques flamencos" you can see the rhythm with the notes.
But the most important: listen so much as you can - e.g. the old ones accomp. cante: Manuel Morao, Niño Ricardo, Ramón Montoya, Diego del Gastor ... in youtube you can also see, what they are playing
and also: repeat the rhythm in your mind, your body till you're getting obsessed by this specific palo :wink:

Return to “Flamenco Corner”