Flamenco stuff

Somewhere for members interested in Flamenco to exchange related knowledge and techniques. Please do not give direct links to performances.
sgraham924

Flamenco stuff

Post by sgraham924 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:57 pm

So I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but in the "classes" section it seems appropriate. I've been taking flamenco lessons for about 8 months now and I wanted to put a thread here for people who want to try learning a little flamenco technique. I've personally noticed it has cleaned up my classical playing and made my right hand a lot stronger. So ask about anything you want to know.

Stephen Graham

Re: Flamenco stuff

Post by Stephen Graham » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:42 pm

I feel weird answering this thread for some reason ........... :roll:

ANYway I was in the process of finding some good flamenco books to study when Ii cam across this thread, any suggestions? I was initially drawn to classical guitar through my appreciation of Flamenco and Spanish style guitar.
Takamine C132S

sgraham924

Post by sgraham924 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:24 pm

Well,

What do you want to learn? There are a lot of techniques in flamenco, rasgueados, picado, and a lot more. Most books don't actually have all the information as it would be way too hard to put on paper. But ask away, I might be able to help.

Stephen Graham

Post by Stephen Graham » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:02 pm

My largest overall "problem" is lack of time I can spend with others, ie: teacher, so I do most of my playing in the evening and am for the most part self taught, which is frustrating at best, but persistence and determination have kept me involved with playing music ( however poorly it may be done) because I love to do it. So with all that being said I would love to become more proficient in my rasgueados technique , that to me holds much of the "sound" I am looking for. I am decent enough with common chord changes but when I lock my thumb on a particular string I have an issue in keeping it there for it slips,( most all instruction I have had say to "pull" the string outward) I do have a strong but moderate length thumb nail, work ( I repair things and use tools) keeps me from letting it get "too" long. And I have to say I am overall just sloppy. Which in turn means that I lose the crisp sound I am attempting. Is there a particular fingering more common than most and are there pieces that could help in the practice of this, I would be grateful for a lead on any literature ( music) which emphasized this. I watch some videos on line, but I do much better when I have a book in front of me.
Takamine C132S

sgraham924

Post by sgraham924 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:19 pm

Ioannis Anastassakis has a great book called "The Art of Rasgueado". There are a lot of different rasgueados and you don't have to use all of them. The traditional p-a-i triplet and sextuplet rasgueado, the e-a-m-i-i rasgueado, and the a-m-i-i rasgueado are probably good ones to start with. The a-m-i-i is an ornamental rasgueado, the other two are for longer passages, the p-a-i commonly referred to as the "continuous roll" rasgueado.

A bit about execution: You only want your nails to skim the tops of the strings, don't drive them into the strings hard. You get a much better sound and it will allow you to do them faster. Also, some videos on the internet recommend you anchor your thumb on the 6th string. Do that if you don't need the low E string for a note. If you do, anchor it just behind the string, it'll feel weird, but that's how the true gypsies do it. That's for the a-m-i-i and the e-a-m-i-i. For the continuous roll, the motion is that of opening a doorknob. Practice it very slow at first and let the motion become second nature, and don't move your hand away from the strings too much, what it is is an upstroke with the thumbnail, then a downstroke with the a finger and another downstroke with the i finger. Challenging movement, but if you practice, you'll get it.

Now when you're ready I'll tell you how to get some lightning fast picado.

Later.

sgraham924

Post by sgraham924 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Oh yeah, the final "i" stroke in the other two is an upstroke.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:56 am

Dennis Koster's method is quite good; he has clear explanations and good examples.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Flamenco Corner”