Starter recording kit - what should I buy

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
marusanek52

Starter recording kit - what should I buy

Post by marusanek52 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:36 am

Hello, I am a newcomer to cg recording. I would like to record myself, but i dont know which exact equipment should i buy. As an editing software i will propably use raper for os x. I think that the best way for me to record myself is one of the zoom recorders. Do you have any experience with these? And which one should I go for - the zoom h1, h2 or h4?
Thanks for reading and maybe answering this,
Mark

Philosopherguy

Re: Starter recording kit - what should I buy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:28 am

marusanek52 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:36 am
Hello, I am a newcomer to cg recording. I would like to record myself, but i dont know which exact equipment should i buy. As an editing software i will propably use raper for os x. I think that the best way for me to record myself is one of the zoom recorders. Do you have any experience with these? And which one should I go for - the zoom h1, h2 or h4?
Thanks for reading and maybe answering this,
Mark
I think not many people are answering because there are many many threads on this topic if you keep reading. I have a Zoom H1 and a Blue Yeti and I use one of these whenever I feel like recording myself. They both CAN do a decent job. You really have to experiment on where to set the mic up. Setting a mic up in the proper place is an art in and of itself. Of course, the H1 is probably one of the cheapest way to get a decent recording from the options you listed. It really depends on what you want the recording for and how far you want to go with your recording on what level you buy.

Good luck!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Starter recording kit - what should I buy

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:08 am

As above there are many discussions of this you will find; meanwhile in your case, the particular things we need to know are your budget, and your aspirations, e.g. exactly what you want to use your recordings for.
Also, I sincerely hope you misspelt the name of that software!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”