Two Preamps compared - please comment

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
guitarrista

Re: Two Preamps compared - please comment

Post by guitarrista » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:12 pm

The second one seems slightly more alive/in your face now (whereas I felt the opposite with the previous files, like Kurt).
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

bear

Re: New Files: Two Preamps compared - please comment

Post by bear » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:37 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:32 pm
Something had gone wrong with my previously uploaded files, thanks to Stephen for bringig it to my attention. I have repeated the process, I hope this time correctly.
At least the phase inversion test was passed this time (not at all with the old files!).

Hope we'll get some new comments!
Sorry for the extra work...
This time, I prefer the first. The baseline seems to have caught up a bit. More balanced than previous.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:32 am

Thanks so far for your patience ... hope we'll get some more comments.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:55 pm

OK, second try.

This time I prefer #2.

#1 has a quality of upper treble stridency or harshness that brings out the "handling noise" or the subtle extraneous sounds of fingers on strings. This quality drives me a bit batty with my own recordings and I try to reduce it by moving the mic further away.

#2 sounds much cleaner to my ears, and has a nice bass presence. This is much like the goal sound I have for my recordings but haven't achieved yet.

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:15 pm

Hello again rojarosguitar,

This second time around I found the first preamp had improved bass without losing the clearer attacks of the first trial. I also found that it was a tiny bit louder than the second preamp. The second preamp still sounded a bit muddier to me, especially during the faster runs when the individual notes seemed slightly blurred. My preference for the sound of the first preamp was reinforced by this second go round.

P de V

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:13 pm

Very interesting indeed, many thanks for the comments so far. Hope more will chime in...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Aaron Powell

Post by Aaron Powell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:04 am

Thank-you for letting me know about the update.
Again, lovely playing I could listen to much more of your playing.

Number 2 is my preference (still). It has an earthly feel like I am there with you. Cheers Aaron

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm trying to tease out some more comments ... hope you have a bit more patience. Thanks so far!

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:02 pm

Am I hearing things? = there's so much hiss on 01! The new version it has a much nice sound than the first mixdown, but the hiss is still there and to me way too much to be acceptable. 02 is a relief afterwards, yes it is a little muted but still really to be preferred. If 01 had no noticeable hiss it would have a place in some circumstances, but hiss aside, if I had to choose it would be 02.

Please tell us what they are!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:51 am

Yes, unfortunately 01 has much more hiss than 02...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:16 pm

OK, nothing much is going on anymore, so here it is:

The mics used are AKG C640B (moded by Gabasa according to Jim Williams). They were brought together as close as possible (pointing thesame direction); distance to the guitar top was around 50-60cm, quite above the top (maybe height of my head, pointed down to the top and towards the bridge).

The track 01 was recorded using the inbuilt preamp of the Busman moded Tascam DR680 field recorder (running on its external power supply).

The track 02 was recorded using a Millenia Media HV-32P running on it's external power supply, patched into the line input of the DR680.

For a fair judgment it should be noted that the Millenia Media pre was ore expensive as the whole recording device including the full Busman modification.

Thanks for your participation!

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Which recording did you like better?
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Well, spontaneously I liked the first better if it wasn't for the hiss that is a bit too strong for my taste. I felt 01 has more focus and the bass is tighter. But it lacks the 'air' of 02, and 02 has practically no hiss issues at all, so that would be one of possible choices for critical situations. But I'm going to do more pairwise comparisons to find out more...

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks, this was a fun experiment.

Kp

Aaron Powell

Post by Aaron Powell » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:28 am

I listened again, after reading all comments again. Still prefer 2. Is 2 the more economical one?

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”