Mic setup for a guitar ensemble

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
pfuentes361

Mic setup for a guitar ensemble

Post by pfuentes361 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 pm

So I'm having trouble finding a good setup to mic a guitar ensemble. Does anybody have any experience with good mics for an ensemble or any experience with a good setup?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Mic setup for a guitar ensemble

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:59 pm

What have you tried and was the trouble?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

pfuentes361

Post by pfuentes361 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:03 pm

I have some Behringer C-2 mics hooked up to a Behringer mixer with two 200w powered speakers. The problem is just a lot of feedback and not being able to turn the volume up very high. My ensemble has to perform in the school cafeteria so the acoustics aren't the best.

tcrist

Post by tcrist » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:28 pm

You'll have to get the C-2s close. I hate mics close to my guitar because for one it will pick up and amplify noise that we don't normally hear in live guitar performance. But two, having a mic and mic stand inhibits motion of the performer. You might try getting some Shadow SH 711 Universal Transducers. I have the older version of these and they work well in live performance.

Another option, if the space is relatively quiet, is to use a pair of Audix M5050 overhead. Those probably won't solve your feedback problem. If your school cafeteria is like ones I have played in, there is a lot of building noise, so the Shadow mics or acoustic/electric classicals might be the answer.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”