Superlux S241 pair with classical guitar

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
gasman

Re: Superlux S241 pair with classical guitar

Post by gasman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:15 pm

it sounds great for that cheap mics, how did you place them?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:53 am

Usually I place cardiod pairs in some kind of an ORTF-ish array, maybe 0.5-0.6m from the guitar top, slightly higher, pointed slightly down.
I can't remember the actual positioning, and it wouldn't transfer 1-1 to a different room anyway...

Also I should mention, although the mics are not expensive, they are also not in the group of the cheapest on the market. They cost 180 Euro per piece. (Although I just saw that one of the biggest european mailorder music shops sells them per 89 Euro a piece which is really a bargain).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

gasman

Post by gasman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:09 am

Did you test dpa 4091

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:16 pm

No, sorry ...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

precsmo

Post by precsmo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:15 am

6strings wrote:I don't want to sound rude or harsh, I appreciate those postings you have made and opportunity to hear all those mics and different combinations and constellations, but to me this recording sound very nasal and thin, also kind-of white noisy somehow. I am not sure I can define it. Listening through my usual Senheiser Urbanite as I listen almost all YT recordings. You seem to play well, but I don't know if the nasal sound of trebles is coming from the mics or from your tone production, I suppose it is the mic since you seem to play very clean otherwise. I am aware it is supposed to be cheap, but I am not sure the cheap in this case is justified. I hope you don't mind my critique. I am thinking of maybe recording something myself, so I am just trying to find something simple and easy, with "good enough" quality for pleasant listening.
I hope I do not make anyone feels that I'm criticizing in anyway. I'm a learning classical guitarist day by day and I started playing guitar since the past 22 years. Just about last year, I finally afford to own my first concert grade guitar, Sakurai Masaki PC. I only realise that my nails and plucking techniques have been seriously flawed and thanks to such an amazing guitar, I'm able to realise that finger nails and plucking techniques is extremely crucial. I hope I'm able to share some of my points here. It can be quite a complicated matter down to reviewing the mics or a guitar. I recently been trying to look for a pair of better mics, and is really convinced by this Superflux. The package is on its way to my doorsteps.

And in regards of the sample recording posted here, I personally can't comment or give comparison which mics are better. However, I personally find that the guitar player's nails and plucking technique is the main reason of the bright and thin sounding, but not the mic. I find that the mic is really good for what it is costing. The guitar player's tone reproduction is extremely crucial, it can make a guitar and the mic to sound day and night difference.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:17 am

precsmo wrote:...

And in regards of the sample recording posted here, I personally can't comment or give comparison which mics are better. However, I personally find that the guitar player's nails and plucking technique is the main reason of the bright and thin sounding, but not the mic. I find that the mic is really good for what it is costing. The guitar player's tone reproduction is extremely crucial, it can make a guitar and the mic to sound day and night difference.
I'm sure you're right. Please report how you find the mics!

precsmo

Post by precsmo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:15 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
precsmo wrote:...

I'm sure you're right. Please report how you find the mics!
You played very well. I personally fully understand the difficulty to get our finger nails and plucking techniques right. My new guitar has been making me realise a lot of my problems. How wonderful if I have a properly good guitar since 22 years ago. I have got a very break through realization on my nails and the plucking techniques. I never know that a very good guitar can be so dynamic and sweet only if strings are plucked properly and allow the strings to properly vibrate in full. I'm very excited to receiving the mics and hope I can share something here soon.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:55 pm

:merci:

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”