Video recording on Linux with reverb

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
emil

Video recording on Linux with reverb

Post by emil » Thu May 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Video recording on Linux is very easy. I simply use Gnome's Cheese to do my recordings. But when it comes to applying reverb, the process is rather cumbersome. First, I export the audio with VLC player, then I add reverb in Audacity, and finally re-join the new audio in OpenShot.

Does anyone know of a better way how to accomplish this?

Thank you
Emil

Moje

Re: Video recording on Linux with reverb

Post by Moje » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:38 pm

emil wrote:Video recording on Linux is very easy. I simply use Gnome's Cheese to do my recordings. But when it comes to applying reverb, the process is rather cumbersome. First, I export the audio with VLC player, then I add reverb in Audacity, and finally re-join the new audio in OpenShot.

Does anyone know of a better way how to accomplish this?

Thank you
That's pretty much the workflow in any OS, even in Mac you have to extract the audio and use a dedicated program to add effects.

Considering the massive number of people who post to YouTube, it amazes me that there seems to be nothing in the way of an all-in-one program that allows for video and audio editing.

There's a program called Reaper (not free but has an unlimited trial version so you can really give it a good test-run,) it''s a fully functional DAW with basic video editing as well but it takes some setting up (you need to install the video codecs yourself.) In principle it can run in Linux but the headaches got the better of me and I finally switched to Mac, but things may have changed (that was 3 years ago.)

A couple of places to go are Linux Musician's Forum and Reaper Forum, also there are dedicated multimedia distros (I strongly recommend going with an Ubuntu variant so you have the option of using nonfree software.) KXStudio was pretty ambitious, not really finished when I was using LInux but well worth checking out. Good luck!
2014 Michael Thames 650mm Cedar & IRW
1976 No. 10 Sakurai 660mm Spruce & IRW

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:42 am

Could you record audio straight in audacity while recording video in another program? Then you'd save yourself one step, though you still have to join and align the two
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Malcolm Kavalsky

Post by Malcolm Kavalsky » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:31 pm

You can skip the vlc stage, and import the video file into audacity
No pain, no pain.

emil

Post by emil » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Moje wrote: There's a program called Reaper (not free but has an unlimited trial version so you can really give it a good test-run,) it''s a fully functional DAW with basic video editing as well but it takes some setting up (you need to install the video codecs yourself.) In principle it can run in Linux but the headaches got the better of me and I finally switched to Mac, but things may have changed (that was 3 years ago.)

A couple of places to go are Linux Musician's Forum and Reaper Forum, also there are dedicated multimedia distros (I strongly recommend going with an Ubuntu variant so you have the option of using nonfree software.) KXStudio was pretty ambitious, not really finished when I was using LInux but well worth checking out. Good luck!
Thank you Moje. I will avoid the pain of trying to run non-native software but I will definitely have a look at the KXStudio distro.
Emil

emil

Post by emil » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:16 pm

sxedio wrote:Could you record audio straight in audacity while recording video in another program? Then you'd save yourself one step, though you still have to join and align the two
That's a great idea. The alignment won't really be an extra step for me as my camera seems to be lacking a bit behind the sound. Thank you!
Emil

emil

Post by emil » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:21 pm

Malcolm Kavalsky wrote:You can skip the vlc stage, and import the video file into audacity
I tried that. Unfortunately, audacity doesn't know how to import *.webm. Thank you anyway.
Emil

Daniel Penalva
Student of the online lessons

Post by Daniel Penalva » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Iam trying to record audio/video with Gnome Cheese, but my onboard mic isnt working. I wanna try to direct plug my guitar into laptop mic input, Is it possible to use Cheese to that end ?

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”