The sounds of different guitars

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
gabasa

The sounds of different guitars

Postby gabasa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:33 pm

I think that this video is so cool. A great player in a large church, with the best of world-class recording gear. Six different guitars. Some are bright, others are warm. You can hear the difference from model to model, quite a bit in some cases.

Really, I feel that it shows that guitars models can contribute quite a bit to a recording, but in the end, a recording is great if a performance is great.

Youtube

vesa

Re: The sounds of different guitars

Postby vesa » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:00 am

Thanks for posting it gabasa.
One of very few comparisons where you really can hear the difference.
There is something to others to think: Playing just a short excerpt works better than playing a whole piece and the selected part of the piece must have high and low register plus different ways of playing(here melody, chords).
Vesa Kuokkanen

David Rubio ws. E. B. Jones 1979
Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:16 am

Very interesting comparison, thanks.

astro64

Postby astro64 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:50 am

I have seen that video a few times too. I think it is a great demonstration of the path we have seen guitar designs take, from traditional to modern. The earlier designs still take first price for me, at least when it comes to recording. And Sigurdson obviously builds a nice guitar...

ronjazz

Postby ronjazz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:19 pm

All very nice, and the double-tops have a really ggod connectedness between the bass and the highest trebles.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Very nice and instructive video. I suspect you could tell us something about the recording equipment?

The consistency of playing is remarkable between the examples...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

gabasa

Postby gabasa » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:24 am

Thanks all for the kind words. Drew Henderson is such a great player!

The recording gear used was a pair of modified AKG C460b mics with omni capsules into Pueblo Audio mic preamps. The mics I modified myself. They're the same circuit as the famous Jim Williams-modified AKGs, but with some very premium quality components used in the signal path. These mics have better capacitors and resistors in them than can be found in anything I've seen at any price range, so I always get excited to hear them in real-world use.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:34 am

gabasa wrote:Thanks all for the kind words. Drew Henderson is such a great player!

The recording gear used was a pair of modified AKG C460b mics with omni capsules into Pueblo Audio mic preamps. The mics I modified myself. They're the same circuit as the famous Jim Williams-modified AKGs, but with some very premium quality components used in the signal path. These mics have better capacitors and resistors in them than can be found in anything I've seen at any price range, so I always get excited to hear them in real-world use.

The quality of the recording is really wonderful! Good work. Are you working as a recording engineer or is it just a hobby of yours to modify mics?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

gabasa

Postby gabasa » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks you! I used to do quite a bit of choir recording, but never full-time.

I did these mods because I needed the best quality mics I could get my hands on for a business I'm starting, and this seemed the best path for me. I got, at least in my opinion, a quartet of mics as-good-as or better-than anything on the planet, for a great price because I did the work myself.
Last edited by gabasa on Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:16 pm

Gabasa, I had a look in the internet; it seems to be difficult to get hold of these AKG 460b mics, at least here in Germany. Would you make your mod plans available for the case I could get some?

What is your comment on the Pueblo Audio pre?

gabasa

Postby gabasa » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:34 pm

The Pueblo preamps are fantastic. I used to own some very well-known, high-end preamps that are known for their transparency, their accuracy and their use in classical recording, and this one has them all beat. It's wonderful, and at the level of Gordon Audio mic preamps in terms of sound quality.

For what it's worth, Benjamin Maas is a highly-experienced classical recording engineer and is a big fan of these. He posts on the GS forum from time to time, and if you read his posts there, you'll get an idea of just how great the Pueblos are.
Last edited by gabasa on Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:34 pm

So do you think buying a pair of original AKG 460b would be a good starter? I'm always affraid they will have some damage on the diaphragms... As to Jim WIlliams mods I have never seen any appear on german sites... So I gather this mod is not just replacing the electgronic parts by better quality equivalent parts...

gabasa

Postby gabasa » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:09 am

The mod involves conversion to transformerless design, some small circuit changes and a lot of major component upgrades.

The times that I've purchased used AKG mics, I've had the capsules rebuilt by Richard Land of Land Audio in the USA, who I believe was trained and certified by AKG to do this work in North America.

If you want to purchase some used mics to put on a shelf and wait for the right moment to mod them, then you'd be doing what I did. My entire process took quite a while to figure out!

Aucaman

Postby Aucaman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:30 pm

gabasa wrote:The Pueblo preamps are fantastic. I used to own some very well-known, high-end preamps that are known for their transparency, their accuracy and their use in classical recording, and this one has them all beat. It's wonderful, and at the level of Gordon Audio mic preamps in terms of sound quality.

My simple question will reveal my ignorance in this topic: What does a preamp do? Do I need one to record my guitar?

Right now I've spent quite a bit of time trying to learn the basics of Studio One 3, the professional version.
I have a pair of AKG C214 microphones attached to a Presonus AudioBox USB 2x2 Audio interface (I'm copying this from the label)
and whatever I manage to record goes into my MacBook Pro.
With all this stuff in my bedroom, do I still need a preamp?

Any help will be really appreciated.
However, you'll quickly loose me if you use Audio Engineering tech lingo like "34XlM port" this and "GRT C37 comp" that, or "56RNB Sync", etc.
:bye: :bye: :merci: :bye: :bye:

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:57 pm

The description of the Presonus Audiobox USB2x2 clearly states that it is equipped with two 'class A' microphone preamps. While quite likely the quality of the preamps is rather entry level, nevertheless they are preamps and you should be able to record with your two AKGs straight away into your computer running Studio One Ver.3.

BTW I quite like Studio One, it's intuitive and easy to use, and you get in the professional version absically all plugins to start to seriously work on music.
So just make yourself acquainted and you're set...

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”