Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
DanManGuitar
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by DanManGuitar » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:13 pm

I've been looking for a cheap microphone, and I've come to a conclusion on these two. Which one would be the better one though? I'm on a very tight budget, so don't mention anything more expensive than $40. The Behringer's price, value, and quality attracct me, but the Shure is probably better, yet I'm more leaning towards the Behringer because like I said, very tight budget. What's your suggestion? Anything other than these two? Thanks!

User avatar
sxedio
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: UK / Cyprus

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by sxedio » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:11 am

I looked up the sm48 and its Frequency Response: 55 Hz – 14 kHz .

Sorry, that is too bad for guitar, and the behringer is equally bad if not worse. Keep using built in microphone on your laptop, tape recorder or whatever until you save some more money and can at least afford something at double the price.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5995
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by petermc61 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:20 am

sxedio wrote:I looked up the sm48 and its Frequency Response: 55 Hz – 14 kHz .

Sorry, that is too bad for guitar, and the behringer is equally bad if not worse. Keep using built in microphone on your laptop, tape recorder or whatever until you save some more money and can at least afford something at double the price.
Why is that too bad for a guitar? What is the lowest frequency you expect to play? What are the highest harmonics you reasonably think a guitar can produce? It seems both would be well within that frequency range.

User avatar
sxedio
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: UK / Cyprus

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by sxedio » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:14 pm

I've used similar cheap dynamic mics on guitar myself and speak from experience. They usually have some sort of mid boost to make speech more intelligible, which is not flattering for the guitar sound, and they sound rather muffled because of the lack of top end. The fundamental frequencies of all the notes are there, but the sound is definitely muffled and messed up. At least an SM57 or an e835 has more top end and is a bit more flat/ less weird, if you really can't have an electret/condenser mic at hand. There is the question of transient response where the dynamic mics cannot match a condenser. There are fairly affordable electret mics like the Rode M3 and M5, or get a recorder with built in mics. But any of those solutions requires a more substantial budget than the super low one mentioned by the original poster.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

DanManGuitar
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by DanManGuitar » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:01 pm

sxedio wrote:I've used similar cheap dynamic mics on guitar myself and speak from experience. They usually have some sort of mid boost to make speech more intelligible, which is not flattering for the guitar sound, and they sound rather muffled because of the lack of top end. The fundamental frequencies of all the notes are there, but the sound is definitely muffled and messed up. At least an SM57 or an e835 has more top end and is a bit more flat/ less weird, if you really can't have an electret/condenser mic at hand. There is the question of transient response where the dynamic mics cannot match a condenser. There are fairly affordable electret mics like the Rode M3 and M5, or get a recorder with built in mics. But any of those solutions requires a more substantial budget than the super low one mentioned by the original poster.
what are some you recommend, keeping the price as low as possible with a good, clear sound.

User avatar
sxedio
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: UK / Cyprus

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by sxedio » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:00 pm

In terms of what I have used myself, I recommend the Zoom H5 as an all in one solution. Other users here have commented on Tascam DR40 being similarly good, and the Rode M3/M5 being similar quality mics, if you already have pre-amp and audio interface or recorder. Also in the spirit of making do with what you have, use a decent lavalier mic if you have it, I have a Sennheiser omni. For guitar in ensemble I got away with SM 57 or e835 a few times, the result is not bad at all even though most internet experts would disapprove. What you should avoid is cheap dynamic mics that get described as 'karaoke mics'.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

User avatar
Andrew Fryer
Posts: 2550
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: London SE5

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Perhaps you could stretch to an AKG P170 for $78 inc postage? (I've got a Shure PG81 which I love and which I think is similar.)

The SM48 is obviously a cheaper version of the SM58. I've got an SM58, and it really is a vocal mic - it seems to be a couple of decibels less sensitive than the SM57 (which is supposed to be the same mic with a different screen), and really it's designed for people to shout into it from a few inches' distance. I really wouldn't recommend it for a guitar. I've used it at a uke gig and it's really a bit pathetic.

I've used other people's Behringers, and they seem OK (for cheap mics). But the "ultravoice", if a vocal mic, is probably not the right one for you.

The problem with not wanting to spend much is the risk of going on e - b a y and ending up with one of the 10 million Chinese fakes out there. Fakes are so numerous, they are finding their way into high-street shops, who often buy stock online. Anyone wants a Shure mic (or anything else with their kudos), go to their website and buy from one of their recommended dealers. Shure's r.r.p.'s have come down by about 20% in the last couple of years, so "bargains" tend to be false economy.

(it may be that this problem of fakes only or mainly applies to the Shure SM57, but it's worth bearing in mind)
Last edited by Andrew Fryer on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

User avatar
Andrew Fryer
Posts: 2550
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: London SE5

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:24 am

I know, it's very annoying when you get told to spend more. "I'm thinking of buying a car, is the Audi A1 OK?" "Don't be stupid, buy a Ferrari. Mine is great!"
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

DanManGuitar
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by DanManGuitar » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:16 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:I know, it's very annoying when you get told to spend more. "I'm thinking of buying a car, is the Audi A1 OK?" "Don't be stupid, buy a Ferrari. Mine is great!"
I know, right(?)...

User avatar
Les Montanjees
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:31 am
Location: Kangaroo Island

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by Les Montanjees » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:16 am

What do you want the mic for, Dan? If it's for amplification on stage that's a whole different ballgame from, say, home recording, when you might find your smartphone is as good as you need. If you could tell us what you want it for it would help to give you better advice. Bottom line, you gets what you pays for. Also, you might pick up something better second-hand, (so long is it wasn't last used, or should I say abused, by Roger Daltrey of The Who).

DanManGuitar
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by DanManGuitar » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:33 pm

Les Montanjees wrote:What do you want the mic for, Dan? If it's for amplification on stage that's a whole different ballgame from, say, home recording, when you might find your smartphone is as good as you need. If you could tell us what you want it for it would help to give you better advice. Bottom line, you gets what you pays for. Also, you might pick up something better second-hand, (so long is it wasn't last used, or should I say abused, by Roger Daltrey of The Who).
I just want something to record, with good quality audio without background noise.

Andrew Pohlman
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:24 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:21 pm

DanManGuitar wrote:I've been looking for a cheap microphone, and I've come to a conclusion on these two. Which one would be the better one though? I'm on a very tight budget, so don't mention anything more expensive than $40. The Behringer's price, value, and quality attracct me, but the Shure is probably better, yet I'm more leaning towards the Behringer because like I said, very tight budget. What's your suggestion? Anything other than these two? Thanks!
Dose of reality :: they both suck. Frequency response is the least of your worries. Accuracy, linearity, and noise floor are big concerns.

I'm not sure what your goal is, but recordings with cheap mics are generally terrible. I have Skyped with a bunch of different people who use everything from $10 lapel mics to Yeti's. I can tell you plainly that cheap mics sound really bad.

I bought a Blue Snowball for $50 and it makes recordings suitable for YouTube at 44.1Khz, 16 bit. This is the minimum that I would use. I do serious recordings using a pair of Rode M5s - and people tell me I'm being too cheap!

Consider your goals. Assess your system for other cheap gear in your system's signal path. If your goal is to record a practice session to listen for mistakes, buy a $20 mic and go for it. But accurate sound recording or reproduction is not realistic at that price point, especially considering that you are probably making budget choices across the entire audio system.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

User avatar
Andrew Fryer
Posts: 2550
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: London SE5

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:I have Skyped with a bunch of different people who use everything from $10 lapel mics to Yeti's.
Lol, I'm skyping with an SM57/SM58 stereo pair! But only cos sticking them on the mic stand is an easy way to keep them out of harm's way.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

DanManGuitar
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by DanManGuitar » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:03 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
DanManGuitar wrote:I've been looking for a cheap microphone, and I've come to a conclusion on these two. Which one would be the better one though? I'm on a very tight budget, so don't mention anything more expensive than $40. The Behringer's price, value, and quality attracct me, but the Shure is probably better, yet I'm more leaning towards the Behringer because like I said, very tight budget. What's your suggestion? Anything other than these two? Thanks!
Dose of reality :: they both suck. Frequency response is the least of your worries. Accuracy, linearity, and noise floor are big concerns.

I'm not sure what your goal is, but recordings with cheap mics are generally terrible. I have Skyped with a bunch of different people who use everything from $10 lapel mics to Yeti's. I can tell you plainly that cheap mics sound really bad.

I bought a Blue Snowball for $50 and it makes recordings suitable for YouTube at 44.1Khz, 16 bit. This is the minimum that I would use. I do serious recordings using a pair of Rode M5s - and people tell me I'm being too cheap!

Consider your goals. Assess your system for other cheap gear in your system's signal path. If your goal is to record a practice session to listen for mistakes, buy a $20 mic and go for it. But accurate sound recording or reproduction is not realistic at that price point, especially considering that you are probably making budget choices across the entire audio system.
What about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3C2gfOvdjE

User avatar
Paul Janssen
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:05 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Behringer Ultravoice 8500 vs Shure SM48

Post by Paul Janssen » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:58 pm

DanManGuitar wrote: What about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3C2gfOvdjE
That certainly doesn't sound muffled. Do you know how much they are and whether they fall within the OP's budget?

Edit - you are the OP (sorry). In which case, that doesn't sound too bad to me.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”