A Little Cardioid Mic Test on CG

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
rojarosguitar

A Little Cardioid Mic Test on CG

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:25 pm

Here is again a little testing I did out of curiosity...

https://soundcloud.com/rojarosguitar/se ... -classical

My playlist text:
"Here is a new cardioid SDC microphone test. It is done pair-wise. A is always the same mic and B changes. On all tests #1,#2 and #3 same guitar is used on the same tune. On #4 different guitar is used on a different tune, and the mic pair is the same as in #3.
The guitars are: #1,2,3 Stenzel Flamenca Blanca #4 ALexandru Marian Flamenca Negra 7strings. Zoom TAC-2 interface to StudioOne V2 software.
No processing whatsoever apart from mix-down do 44.1/16."
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

rojarosguitar

Re: A Little Cardioid Mic Test on CG

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:20 pm

Here's a direct link to the wav files, which allow a better judgement of the sound differences...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a20rd7rcgsbe ... szBNa?dl=0
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

stevel

Post by stevel » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:58 am

I"m not sure what's going on here. I'm only listening through my laptop speakers and there's background noise so...

Is each file a mono recording from just a single mic?

Or are you recording both in stereo, and "A" is the left mic channel, and "B" the right mic channel?

The numbering doesn't really make sense to me - A1 and B1 implies they're both "#1" and since you said it's the same tune and only gave 3 numbers, I think that means A is the left channel only (mono) and B is the right channel only (mono also) that you recorded simultaneously "in stereo", but are playing back in mono. Is that right?

I really LOVE the sound of B1, not becuase it sounds "good" but because it sounds "cheap" - kinda "lo fi" in a way. I'd normally never want to hear that sound on a recording, but, a "sad" song, in the context of a lonely scene in a movie, guitarist in the corner playing a cheap old guitar - it would work amazingly well.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi Stevel,
thanks for your comments. Yes, A1 and B1 are the same take #1. A1 is recorded through one mic, B1 through another one. Both mics were tied together as close as it goes, and recorded on separate tracks. Both tracks are then treated as mono tracks and seperately mixed down to a stereo wav file panned dead center, so that you get a stereo file with mono material, if that makes sens to you. That's how A1 and B1 are two separate stereo files, A1 containing only the mono material of mic A1 and B1 only the monomaterial of mic B1.

to really judge the sound of the recordings you would have to wear either decent headphones or listen through a decent stereo system or studio monitors. Best would be to use the wav files from the dropbox link, as soundcloud is always compromising the sound quite a bit; the differences come through, though.

BTW, none of the mics used is a 'cheapo' though the price differences are significant.

So of course, precisely talking, if one ties two cardioids together, they are slightly in different places, but we're not talking science here :). That is as far I can take to record the same take with two different mics at roughly the same spot...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:32 pm

OK, because nobody seems to be interested anymore, here is the solution:

- A: stands throughout all takes is AKG C460B stock body with CK61 cardioid capsula

- B1: MBHO603/KA200 (Mikrofonbau Haun Obrigheim)

- B2: Line Audio CM3

- B3/4: DPA 4011

First three were played with Alexandru Marian flamenca negra 7 strings, the #4 with Stenzel flamenca blanca.

konstantine

Post by konstantine » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:49 pm

Thanks for sharing the files, I didnt like the MBHO603, I found the highs harsh and thin, the CM3 was a bit more natural but still on the recording sounded also "cheap". The DPA and the AKG where much smoother and while I preferred the DPA the price difference makes the AKG a better choice.

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:06 am

price let aside, the DPA had the best sound, imho.
thanks for sharing ! :bravo:

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:40 pm

Here you will find another set of test files, with a slightly different selection of mics. There are four omnidirectional and four cardioids in the test. I think there is a clear winner among them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ds4ogxqn4zz6 ... d9HDa?dl=0

gabasa

Post by gabasa » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:45 am

Robert, these tests are both revealing and educational.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:49 pm

Thanks, Gord!

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”