Best PC microphone

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
cool09

Best PC microphone

Postby cool09 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:05 pm

What's the best PC microphone to use for recording guitar? I bought several online and they don't seem to work well even after drivers installed. Using Audacity and Goldwave audio software. What am I doing wrong? (Using WIndows 7 Pro and Realtek audio manager.)

Andrew Pohlman

Re: Best PC microphone

Postby Andrew Pohlman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:08 am

cool09 wrote:What's the best PC microphone to use for recording guitar? I bought several online and they don't seem to work well even after drivers installed. Using Audacity and Goldwave audio software. What am I doing wrong? (Using WIndows 7 Pro and Realtek audio manager.)
There are a ton of threads about this. Use the search function.

The short answer is : there are too many variables to say a mic is "best". Best at what price? Best for what task? Recording practices ? Recording performances? Recording for audio demo/resume?

The cheap route is something like a Blue SnowBall USB mic for <$50. I use one for my online classes and YouTube posts. It works great for that stuff. A more expensive answer is a Focusrite 2i2 interface and a matched pair of Rode M5's for ~$300 total. My AudioTechnica ATH-M50X are excellent playback headphones for ~$100. Always buy excellent cables - don't scrimp here --> + more $$$

But you really need to take a systems approach. You may have acceptable mics, but you may not hear it if your playback system sucks, or your mics may suck; you just can't tell with cheap components throughout your system.

I can tell you that I get good results with my Blue SnowBall for <$50. Blue makes a Yeti Pro that is very nice and easy to use at ~$225. The costs rise rapidly and insanely once you start to upgrade the system, or worse, seek "audiophile quality" ...

I hope this helps.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

gabasa

Re: Best PC microphone

Postby gabasa » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:14 am

What audio interface are you using? What's your price range for a microphone?

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”