Recommendations for aftermarket CG internal mic system?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
User avatar
David_Norton
Posts: 3831
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:12 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Recommendations for aftermarket CG internal mic system?

Post by David_Norton » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Happy Friday.

I had sincerely hoped that one or two of my current guitars would have the horsepower to play on equal footing with other chamber instruments. Tonight I am doing the first performance of a brand-new Suite for Cello and Guitar, and based on the on-site rehearsal last night, I absolutely need to be mic'd for the performance. That's OK, but it creates a balance issue with the guitar sound coming from the speakers and the cello coming from the cello.

Nothing to be done for tonight's show on short notice, but I want to invest in some internal mic/transducer gear. 20+ years ago I had a Fishman under-saddle + soundhole mic setup, and a stand mounted preamp. What's the current best choice?
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

2handband
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Re: Recomendations for aftermarket CG internal mic system?

Post by 2handband » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:15 pm

I'm going to strongly recommend that you go external mic. It WILL sound better. I'm doing live sound for a living these days, and internal solutions to acoustic instrument amplification are always suboptimal. What you want to amplify is what the audience would hear if you weren't amplified, and nobody has their head inside your guitar.

For live use the Shure SM-81 is absolutely the only one to buy.

khayes
Posts: 1185
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Recomendations for aftermarket CG internal mic system?

Post by khayes » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:39 pm

2handband wrote:I'm going to strongly recommend that you go external mic. It WILL sound better. I'm doing live sound for a living these days, and internal solutions to acoustic instrument amplification are always suboptimal. What you want to amplify is what the audience would hear if you weren't amplified, and nobody has their head inside your guitar.

For live use the Shure SM-81 is absolutely the only one to buy.
My brother-in-law has his own sound company and he feels for the money, the SM-137 is also a good choice. Any thoughts on that one, 2handband? Also David, these mics require phantom power.
Ken

User avatar
markodarko
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Leyenda-On-Sea

Re: Recomendations for aftermarket CG internal mic system?

Post by markodarko » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:43 pm

I don't doubt that Mr. 2hand knows his stuff so if you can go the mic route it'll be the most flexible option for you (as it's not guitar dependent) and truest sounding.

However, if space or ambient noise is an issue I'd consider getting a piezo (or one with an internal blend mic) and run it through a modelling pedal such as a Fishman aura. The combination has to be heard to be appreciated. If your local music store has any Fishman Auras in stock I'd recommend you go and check them out as it'll help make up your mind either way.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

2handband
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Re: Recomendations for aftermarket CG internal mic system?

Post by 2handband » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:54 pm

khayes wrote:
2handband wrote:I'm going to strongly recommend that you go external mic. It WILL sound better. I'm doing live sound for a living these days, and internal solutions to acoustic instrument amplification are always suboptimal. What you want to amplify is what the audience would hear if you weren't amplified, and nobody has their head inside your guitar.

For live use the Shure SM-81 is absolutely the only one to buy.
My brother-in-law has his own sound company and he feels for the money, the SM-137 is also a good choice. Any thoughts on that one, 2handband? Also David, these mics require phantom power.
If you're seriously on a budget the SM137 is all right; I have a couple of them in the B rig and they're good mics. But not even close to the SM81.
markodarko wrote:I don't doubt that Mr. 2hand knows his stuff so if you can go the mic route it'll be the most flexible option for you (as it's not guitar dependent) and truest sounding.

However, if space or ambient noise is an issue I'd consider getting a piezo (or one with an internal blend mic) and run it through a modelling pedal such as a Fishman aura. The combination has to be heard to be appreciated. If your local music store has any Fishman Auras in stock I'd recommend you go and check them out as it'll help make up your mind either way.
Modeling equipment hurts my soul... :cry:

User avatar
markodarko
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Leyenda-On-Sea

Re: Recomendations for aftermarket CG internal mic system?

Post by markodarko » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:03 pm

2handband wrote: Modeling equipment hurts my soul... :cry:
:lol: I apologise for the soul bruise, sir. They're pretty effective for noisy environments though. I'd personally use a mic as you suggested where sound quality was top of the list, but where loud ambience were top, I'd sacrifice a little natural quality in return for the convenience and relatively decent sound - compared to a piezo alone, that is.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Gruupi
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:11 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Recommendations for aftermarket CG internal mic system?

Post by Gruupi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:30 pm

Bartlett makes a clip on mic the clips right on the sound hole, I bought the version where you don't have to modify your guitar, the preamp portion sets in a belt loop/box.

I agree with the earlier posts where a traditional mic will sound more natural. I bought the Bartlett for playing in really noisy environments where a mic just doesn't get enough volume before feedback. It's also great for outdoors as you don't have to deal with wind noise with the clip on.

User avatar
markodarko
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Leyenda-On-Sea

Re: Recommendations for aftermarket CG internal mic system?

Post by markodarko » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:51 pm

Incidentally, if you don't want to modify your guitar there's always the Kremona NG-1 although I have no experience with it...
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

stevel
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Recommendations for aftermarket CG internal mic system?

Post by stevel » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:16 pm

well, the quick answer is to mic the cello too and have both come out of the PA, but simply balance the instruments coning out of the speakers.

This will make the "blend" of the instruments much better than having that disparate "guitar in the speakers" and "cello acoustic" sound.

I used to do a lot of concerts with some solo instrument and electronic backing (on CDs, or more recently, as computer files).

I always mic'd up the solo instrument so some of it would be coming through the PA as well otherwise the soloist sounds like they're playing "over" a backing track, rather than *in concert with* the electronic sounds.

guit-box
Posts: 943
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:57 am

Re: Recommendations for aftermarket CG internal mic system?

Post by guit-box » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:03 am

Danish Pro Audio makes some nice mics for guitar. I have the omni lav mic, but they make a directional version of the mic that mounts to the side of the guitar and points at the 12th fret with a gooseneck. Audio Technica makes a soundhole mount lav, but I think the DPA is the best I've heard. It's better than the internal mics in the sense that you don't have to deal with the box resonances and it's better than a stand mount mic because you don't have to worry about moving away from the mic and having an unbalanced sound.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest