Mic comparison

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
el_guitarrero

Mic comparison

Postby el_guitarrero » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:36 pm

Hello, could you help me, which microphones to use?

It is a comparison between Zoom Cardioid Mics and Naiant Omni Microphones... I can not decide which are the better sounding ones.... and I need a pair of fresh ears, so maybe you can help me ? Mics 1 is the Zoom Mics and Mics 2 file is the Naiant omni mics.

My opinion; I slightly like more "Mics 1" file (the Zoom Microphones) because they sound a little bit more focused....
Since it is a small room, the Omnis , file "Mics2" do not sound really great.

What do you think?!

https://soundcloud.com/use1414/sets/mic-comparison

Thank you :merci:

stevel

Re: Mic comparison

Postby stevel » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:05 am

What, are you sending one pair back?

I agree - I feel like the clarity and detail are superior on the first track. It also sounds more like a "typical" recording - or what I expect to normally hear.

But you know, you're comparing cardioids to omnis which is really apples to oranges.

Why are you buying omnis in the first place? I wouldn't mess with them unless you have a great sounding space to record in. Especially low end ones.

There are aspects of the sound of the omnis I like, and I don't think the Zooms are perfect either - and each one seems to have what the other doesn't.

How were you recording the omnis, spaced pair? Or were you trying something like ORTF?

el_guitarrero

Re: Mic comparison

Postby el_guitarrero » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi Stevel,

Thanks for hearing and your thoughts on the recordings...

I used AB 40cm separation. The omnis used where small naiant mics, they are not very expensive, compared to other mics - maybe i will use them when i get a chance to record in another, bigger room ....

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”