My low budget recording setup

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
souldier

My low budget recording setup

Post by souldier » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:03 pm

I was able to record two videos the other day with a pretty low budget setup that I feel produced at least passable results. See my two latest videos on https://www.youtube.com/user/SRImperio. If there is anyone out there who wants to know the nuts and bolts of the process, feel free to comment or pm me. I've discovered that it is a lot easier than I thought to produce a video/audio recording.

Gear includes:
-Tascam DR-05 (I bought this years ago. I believe they released a second version) - $99
-On Stage Stands MS7701B Tripod Boom Microphone Stand - $21
-On Stage CM01 Video Camera/Digital Recorder Adapter - $10
-VideoPad editing software - $50 (I'm sure there are free solutions out there for basic video editing).
TOTAL: $180

I didn't include the camera used (Canon SX240 HS) in the cost since even a smartphone with HD recording can produce good results. I may want to record another video using my phone as a second camera one of these days.

The Tascam DR-05 is exactly 61cm away from the guitar at a 40 degree angle to the left of me. The mic is also level with the 12th fret, and pointing to the 12th fret. Input/gain level is 69. Room is small with normal low ceiling and rugs on the floor and a lot of wind noise outside. Next time I'll lower the gain and play around with the mic position as I believe there is a lot of room for improvement.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

James Stephens
Teacher

Re: My low budget recording setup

Post by James Stephens » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:06 pm

I think it sounds really good! Just out of curiosity, how did you set your recording levels? Thanks!
James

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:23 pm

James Stephens wrote:I think it sounds really good! Just out of curiosity, how did you set your recording levels? Thanks!
Thanks James. As indicated in my original post, the input level was set to 69.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:34 pm

souldier wrote:
James Stephens wrote:I think it sounds really good! Just out of curiosity, how did you set your recording levels? Thanks!
Thanks James. As indicated in my original post, the input level was set to 69.
Yes, I did see that but that would only translate if I had the same recorder. What I was curious about was what for example your peak level was while recording. -12, -6 -4, or whatever if that makes sense. I'm assuming there's a meter of some sort in the device that gives this info.
James

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:17 pm

James Stephens wrote:Yes, I did see that but that would only translate if I had the same recorder. What I was curious about was what for example your peak level was while recording. -12, -6 -4, or whatever if that makes sense. I'm assuming there's a meter of some sort in the device that gives this info.
Ah I see. I try to keep the meter around -12 as a general rule

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:38 pm

souldier wrote:
James Stephens wrote:Yes, I did see that but that would only translate if I had the same recorder. What I was curious about was what for example your peak level was while recording. -12, -6 -4, or whatever if that makes sense. I'm assuming there's a meter of some sort in the device that gives this info.
Ah I see. I try to keep the meter around -12 as a general rule
Thanks.
James

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”