Recording Help

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
davemall

Recording Help

Postby davemall » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:36 am

I have decided to buy the Rode NT4 stereo microphone. What would be an appropriate interface to use with this mic? I have a Dell PC. I'm confused about the differences between a soundcard versus preamps. I'm hoping to buy something inexpensive.

Thanks

Tom Poore

Re: Recording Help

Postby Tom Poore » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:15 am

If you’re looking for something inexpensive, try the Focusrite Scarlet Solo. It retails for about $100.

This is only if you plan to never use more than one XLR input. If you need two inputs, then opt for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Although it goes for about $125, it’s been around for a while. So you might pick up a used one for less.

If you’re a golden eared audiophile, you can spend considerably more on an interface. But if not, then either of these will suffice.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Andrew Pohlman

Postby Andrew Pohlman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:27 pm

davemall wrote:I have decided to buy the Rode NT4 stereo microphone. What would be an appropriate interface to use with this mic? I have a Dell PC. I'm confused about the differences between a soundcard versus preamps. I'm hoping to buy something inexpensive.

Thanks
I agree with Tom Poore, and I bought a Focusrite 2i2. It sounds fantastic to my ears. Just make sure you are taking a "systems" approach before you praise or condemn any piece of gear. Sounds like you have a great mic, we are recommending a very nice interface, so make sure your playback is good enough to hear the good mic and interface.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

khayes

Postby khayes » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:33 pm

+1 on the Focusrite.
Ken

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”