Musician's Recorder app for android

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Malcolm Kavalsky

Musician's Recorder app for android

Postby Malcolm Kavalsky » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:21 am

I have written an app targeted specifically for practicing musicians. In my experience, the generic camera app, or voice recorder app leaves much to be desired. So I developed this for my own use, and have decided to share it. Here is the main screenshot:

title231x400.png

As you can see, it shows all your recordings which you can then sort by date, piece, size and rating.
Just one touch to start recording, the big green button.
Also, it includes a comprehensive piece manager, accessed from the menu at the top right.

Using the Android built in camera or audio recorder (looks like this):
record228.jpg

After recording, you can add notes, and rate the recording using the following screen:
edit225x400.png

Please note that it is only available for Android 5.0 and up. This is because I am using the built in media recorders, and the previous versions in my experience are too buggy (at least on the devices I have tested).

I have uploaded the first alpha version to the Google Play Store , and would welcome any feedback, especially since I can only test it on a limited amount of devices, please let me know of any issues you have.

Here is the link to download it

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Malcolm Kavalsky on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
No pain, no pain.

Azalais

Re: Musician's Recorder app for android

Postby Azalais » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:44 am

I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but was wondering if there are options to save the app to the SD card or the files Dropbox (I'm running low on space! :oops: )

Also, what file format(s) can be recorded/saved? (.mp3, .wav. other?)

Thank you for the app. It looks very useful.
(US) (FR) (ES) (IT) "... when you walk alone, you walk as you please..." Burwell Lute Tutor (c1670).

Malcolm Kavalsky

Postby Malcolm Kavalsky » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:44 pm

The recordings are saved to the external storage SD card. Though some phones don't let you insert your own micro-SD cards, so they fake one as part of your regular storage.

I use the built-in audio recorder (and camera application for video) with their default setting, these output mp4 for video and m4a for audio.
Also, after recording, I display the full filename so you can copy it using the phone's file manager anywhere you like.

BTW, I just released JustPracticePro (which includes recording as well, though with less features than this app).
No pain, no pain.

Azalais

Postby Azalais » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:26 am

Thanks for the info.
(US) (FR) (ES) (IT) "... when you walk alone, you walk as you please..." Burwell Lute Tutor (c1670).

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”