Need a tripod for my Tascam recorder

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
jnbrown

Need a tripod for my Tascam recorder

Post by jnbrown » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:36 am

I got a Tascam recorder for Christmas, now I need a tripod to mount it on.
Some light, but bulky and less than $25.

Found this on Amazon:

https://www.*** Commercial link removed ***/AmazonBasics-60- ... 9S7KN&th=1

Any other ideas?

Thanks

igycrctl

Re: Need a tripod for my Tascam recorder

Post by igycrctl » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:24 am

I can't reach the site.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:51 am

Anyone will do, provided it's basis is wide anough that the whole thing doesn't fall over. Another important parameter to consider is the height. Ideally the microphones should be a bit higher than your guitar, so depending whether the tripod stands on the floor or on a table you will need something that has the necessary height.

Another option would be a microphone stand with an adopter from mic thread to photographic thread (I don't know the measurments but that's easy to find out).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:52 pm

Check out my post here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=109318

It gives details on what I use with the exact names that you can search up on amazon. I use a mic stand rather than a tripod. The one I purchased is affordable, solid, and can easily handle the weight of a Tascam recorder. You can really adjust the mic stand to get the position just the way you want it and it will not fall over. I also give details on how I position my Tascam and the settings I use.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

robert e

Post by robert e » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:09 pm

Congratulations!

I often put my recorder on a gorillapod with an articulating head (e.g., a ball head). That turns it into a three legged beast that's more stable and vibration-isolated when sitting on a nearby chair or stool or desk, and can also wrap around a chair back, music stand or mic stand, etc. If it might slip or get knocked off, I'll use gaffer tape or a ball bungee on one of the legs. Make sure the head is rated for the operating weight of the recorder, and the pod is rated for weight of recorder + head. This is a very compact and portable setup.

A mic stand with a boom is better than a tripod in that you'll have more flexibility with placement, and it'll be more useful if you ever buy or borrow a mic for better recordings. And decent mic stands are cheaper than decent tripods. On the other hand, they're heavier and don't pack up as neatly. Some recorders come with mic stand adapters, but they're inexpensive to buy, too.

jnbrown

Post by jnbrown » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:29 am

souldier wrote:Check out my post here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=109318

It gives details on what I use with the exact names that you can search up on amazon. I use a mic stand rather than a tripod. The one I purchased is affordable, solid, and can easily handle the weight of a Tascam recorder. You can really adjust the mic stand to get the position just the way you want it and it will not fall over. I also give details on how I position my Tascam and the settings I use.
That looks perfect - Thanks

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”