Can anyone recommend a microphone for my camcorder?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Christopher Burnham

Can anyone recommend a microphone for my camcorder?

Postby Christopher Burnham » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:51 am

I just got a new camcorder for Christmas, the Canon VIXIA HF R700. It has a spot to attach an external microphone (3.5mm plug). I have never used a mic before when recording, just the built in mic, but have never been happy with the sound from the built in. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an inexpensive mic that I can use to improve the sound for my recordings. Thanks in advance!

Paul Janssen

Re: Can anyone recommend a microphone for my camcorder?

Postby Paul Janssen » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:23 pm

R0DE make some good video camera microphones. You might like to check out the R0DE Stereo VideoMic Pro.

Christopher Burnham

Postby Christopher Burnham » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:34 am

Thanks for the recommendation Paul, Ill check it out for sure!

Christopher Burnham

Postby Christopher Burnham » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:57 am

Just looked at the RODE's on the big river site. The videomic pro is a bit out of my price range right now. I can only afford about $100 right now. I did see the videomicro compact on camera microphone with Rycote Lyre Shock Mount was going for $59.Would this be an acceptable mic for my situation? All I am wanting is to get a decent sounding videos so I can share my playing with friends and family on f-book.

el_guitarrero

Postby el_guitarrero » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:02 am

Hello,

The best audio (mic) position is almost always not the best position for the videocam, and viceversa.... instead of attaching a mic to the mediocre audio input of your camcorder, why not look for a cheap zoom h1 or tascam dr-05? They cost both <100 USD, and you get very good stereo sound out of them.

Bear in mind , that the dedicated camcorder mics are very often designed for human voice (shotgun mics) and do not reproduce guitar sound very well... i strongly recommend a tascam dr-05 with its Omni - Capsules.

You can later add the music from the recorder to the videofile in your computer (a very useful step), this way you can finetune the guitar sound...add effects, equalizer erc.

Regards
Michael

Christopher Burnham

Postby Christopher Burnham » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:31 am

ooooo, I like the look And price of the Tascam!! Im gonna look into this!!! Thanks for the tip!

Paul Janssen

Postby Paul Janssen » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:15 pm

If you are going to go down this path (and i think this idea has merit b.t.w.) one "trick" you can use to help you sync up the audio file with the video is to play a couple of short sharp sounds at the start before you recording yourself playing the guitar. A couple of hand claps works well for this. You can then use the peaks from both the audio sound wave files (i.e. from the External recorder and the from the built in mic on the camera) and line them up. When you do this, you should see the rest of the wave files will line up as well. I hope this makes sense?

Christopher Burnham

Postby Christopher Burnham » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks for the tip Paul. It makes perfect since to me. I am now leaning towards this option instead since I also think this idea has merit. I appreciate both of you for your input!

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”