amplification for my son's wedding

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Casey

amplification for my son's wedding

Postby Casey » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:56 am

The doll who just accepted my son's wedding proposal has asked me to play at their outdoor wedding this coming June. Beyond being flattered and thrilled and really nervous I wonder at the best setup for outdoors. I have a Cube 80 and can either line in an AY CY127CE slim line w/cutaway that has an acoustic mike in the body or try to use an instrument mike on a LoPrinzi concert guitar which is my main axe. Any thoughts at all would be most welcome as I have never done anything like this before.

Yes she wants Canon in D & I'll have to find a few more appropriate pieces also. Thanks in advance.

Whiteagle

Re: amplification for my son's wedding

Postby Whiteagle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:47 am

Doll?

Tom Poore

Postby Tom Poore » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Guitar isn’t really an ideal instrument for outdoors. But you can make it work. And obviously the bride and groom have emotional reasons for wanting you to play. Remember that just you being an important part of the ceremony far outweighs any consideration of how well you play. You’ll do fine.

During the ceremony, place yourself and the amp as close to the audience as you can. The amp you’ll be using is barely adequate for an outdoor gig. So don’t be too far away from your listeners. Also make sure you have good sight lines for everything. You must be able to see what’s going on so you’ll know when to play.

A practical consideration: if you can, place yourself in a shaded area. You don’t want to be baking in direct sunlight, especially for a June wedding in Florida. Also, a partly cloudy day means your trebles will constantly go out of tune—staying in the shade minimizes tuning problems.

Before the wedding, be sure to meet with whoever is conducting the ceremony. You both need to be on the same page, knowing when you’ll play. The officiant may need cue you at certain points, so you both need to be clear on this. Also—and this is very important—be sure there’s someone there who cues you for when the ceremony begins. Explain to everyone beforehand that if you don’t start playing, the wedding doesn’t start. So it’s vital that a reliable person knows to give you a clear signal that it’s time for you to begin.

Since this is an outdoor wedding, it’s possible the bride will begin her entrance a considerable distance from the audience. Bear in mind that your amp is pointed toward the audience. So beforehand, warn the bride that she may not be able to hear the music until she gets closer to the audience. You may even work out a visual cue with her, so she’ll know you’ve started playing even if she can’t hear you.

Finally, enjoy. It’s a wedding, not a recital. No one will be writing a review for the New York times. When all is said and done, your son and daughter-to-be will only remember fondly that you were there.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Casey

Postby Casey » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:25 pm

:merci:

Bill B

Postby Bill B » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:08 pm

I find if I am Playing outside backed up close to a wall helps. wide out in the open your amp will hardly help at all. also, even a slight breeze sounds like a hurricane in a microphone. I would use the plug in.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:21 pm

Tom Poore wrote:Also, a partly cloudy day means your trebles will constantly go out of tune

Why is this, Tom?
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:24 pm

Whiteagle wrote:Doll?

Ah that's better - when I read it at first, I read it as "The dolT who just accepted my son's wedding proposal.." - and was thinking wow, some people are really cheeky :mrgreen:
Konstantin
--

Tom Poore

Postby Tom Poore » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:29 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Tom Poore wrote:Also, a partly cloudy day means your trebles will constantly go out of tune

Why is this, Tom?

Cloud blocks sun, trebles cool down and go flat—no cloud blocking sun, trebles warm up and go sharp.

I have some experience with this. Trust me, it ain’t pretty.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Casey

Postby Casey » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:36 pm

The amp you’ll be using is barely adequate for an outdoor gig.

I had thought the Cube 80 was pretty loud so that's a surprise to me although I admit not having tried it yet. What would be better for a wedding of about 60 people?

Also it sounds like great advice on just lining in and forgetting about miking up, thanks!

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
guitarrista wrote:

Why is this, Tom?

Cloud blocks sun, trebles cool down and go flat—no cloud blocking sun, trebles warm up and go sharp.

I have some experience with this. Trust me, it ain’t pretty.

Oh, me too, once - horrifying - I just couldn't quite believe it that it was simply the sun/clouds i.e. heating/cooling, doing it. Wow. (Instead I questioned my sanity and perception of the world in general :mrgreen: )
Konstantin
--

2handband

Postby 2handband » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Hire the sound. You don't have the equipment for this, and it's senseless to buy it for one occasion.

Casey

Postby Casey » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:29 pm

Hiring the sound is a great idea, will investigate this.

2handband

Postby 2handband » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:07 am

Casey wrote:Hiring the sound is a great idea, will investigate this.

There should be a number of production companies in your area who can send out a small PA and someone to run it and it usually isn't too pricey. They can ALSO bring mics for the preacher and anyone else who is talking or singing so they can actually be heard; you'd be amazed at how fast sound dissipates outdoors. I do sound for four or five such events any given summer.

Casey

Postby Casey » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:11 am

I'm a big fan of letting the pros handle it rather than beat my own ignorant head against the wall, many thanks for the tip.

Blondie

Postby Blondie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Firstly use your Alvarez, miking up outside will give you all sorts of problems and you will get much higher output levels by plugging in.

Secondly, you haven't said what parts of the day you are playing - ceremony only? I did a wedding ceremony last summer, outdoors, same size as yours, using a Roland Cube St Ex, which was fine in terms of power output and it's less powerful than your 80w amp (you need to think about power though, I don't think the Cube 80 runs on batteries?)

I should stress this was for the ceremony only, when people were seated together in a small area, very quiet location and were fairly quiet themselves - taking their seats, during the bride's entry and during the signing of the register. Afterwards I played during the drinks reception/photos when people were spread out across the castle lawn, noisier, drinking and chatting, I used my 300w PA for this, speakers up on stands, as the Cube would have been inadequate - if I had been booked for the meal I would have used the PA for that too.

So unless there is something different about American wedding ceremonies I am sure you'll be fine with your gear for this one-off family event where you have not been hired as a pro. Getting your amp up on a stand/chair will help, as will Toms tips above about placing it near the audience.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”